What anti-spam techniques are you using to keep your Website spam free?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Am curious. What anti-spam techniques are you using to keep your Websites spam free?

I'm particularly interested in Forums as well. Does any one got experience with using Akismet with Wordpress and myBB?
http://akismet.com/

wifitoplist

Its not any technique to make forums spam free, it is the hard work of forum staff like. Admins, Moderators etc. They stay 24*7 online at forums and make them spam free.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
wifitoplist said:
Its not any technique to make forums spam free, it is the hard work of forum staff like. Admins, Moderators etc. They stay 24*7 online at forums and make them spam free.
Great point. But even with that one could come under a spam attack, so it could be useful to have some anti-spam software installed, to discourage spammers.

Dark Shadow

I keep things simple. I also like Akismet. It can be a little ruthless at times. I also use captcha with a simple question to catch out bots. I find however that there are quite a large percentage of human spammers however.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
wifitoplist said:
@Hellsing, thats also true, but 90% spam free forums are due to 24*7 Staff.
Although I agree for the major part with the above, I don't agree completely. Could be that the owner has top security attached to his Forum that makes the difference. I've seen forums that are 99% free of spam with almost no staff.

Sarji

I use captcha mostly. I find Akismet a bit unforgiving, and lots of headaches to sort out unhappy users. I also don't allow links or signatures for the first 10 posts.

Pauline

Well if I have an interactive Website I make sure I monitor it all of the time, if not, I turn it off.

mailbox_bomber

I'm quite new to Website design, just started a Forum and am trying out the Akismet that comes with myBB as well as the captcha and question.

wifitoplist

@Hellsing, I am not telling about that kind of forums. I am telling about the forums I used. The 99.999999% credit goes to staff.

Dark Shadow

I'd probably make sure that my software is always up to date and current. If I have an interactive site with comments on blogs or a discussion forum, I'd be checking on them daily for spam. Make sure I have all control to delete spam. I'd use the state of the art anti-spam plug-ins that are designed for the blog and discussion forum I'm using. I'd also let members register with an e-mail address. Links won't be allowed for the first 10 posts. Nor signatures.

PeaceSigns

I use capatcha's to stop basic spam on submission forms and registration. I use honeypots to stop scrapers and auto-ban them.

amontes

I recommend fail2ban. This nifty tool can read almost any application log so it can be used to block those guys that are trying to brute force your POP or IMAP mail service to send spam. If you are already receving SPAM (you may be also sending wihtout knowing) you may use SpamAssasing. It uses Bayessian statistics to give each email a score and based on that score you set up athreshold to flag it as SPAM or not.