What do you think about free webhosting?

Magics

New member
Webhosting should be free or for some charge still stay as unanswered question. Some people think that webhosting is better to be freebies and others prefer hosting only money. I think that answer on that question depends under the circumstances. If somebody want to use webhosting for social communication and exchanging points of view on various themes than free hosting in any case will support peoples free expression, mutual understanding and progress. So, in such cases webhosting is most preferable to be granted for free. However, if somebody is in a business and wants to use webhosting for business purposes and its advertizing than definitely he should invest in his business web presence. But I think that on the business start up stage webhosting is better given by hosting provider on the low costs.
 
The only difference between free and paid hosting in most case is the support and some features. For an example, its hard to find free host that offers SSL and Curl
 

Peter

New member
I think it mostly depends on what your needs are. If free hosting gives you everything you need why pay for it?

For someone who doesn't have or want to invest any money free hosting can certainly be useful to get things going. If your site becomes very popular and you get some money from it you can then affort to pay for hosting yourself if you need to. If the site fails, then just scrap it and move on, knowing you haven't wasted any money on hosting.

If you need something very secure I don't think free hosting is an option. Not even paid shared hosting for that matter. You probably would need a dedicated server that you have full control over and that is located somewhere you can trust.
 

Genesis

Administrator
Peter said:
If you need something very secure I don't think free hosting is an option. Not even paid shared hosting for that matter. You probably would need a dedicated server that you have full control over and that is located somewhere you can trust.
With no connection to a United States server. :wink:
 

PeaceSigns

New member
It's also about what you're doing with it - for most people, free hosting should be fine. But for professionalism, you should get paid hosting so that you don't have banners and uptime. But there's a lot of paid hosting that is just as a bad as free hosting in terms of uptime and availability.

Gigarank is actually better than a lot of other paid and free hosts I've used, the uptime and reliability is much better!
 

Tobymaro

New member
Hi,

I work as support team member for paid hosting. And my team works with many small and medium hosting. And I know all problems that can take place. In the same time I use free hosting for my sites. My experience shows me that there is no difference in UPtime or the frequency of problems between free and paid.

But paid hosting always has better support. In case you need something specific, some custom configuration - paid hosting will be be better. For common requirements (own blog/sites, portfolio, etc..) - you may use free or paid, but why you should pay if it can be free =).
 

GigaBot

Administrator
Well, I really don't know what to think of it anymore, because I had both good and bad experiences with Free and paid hosting services so far...but of course it was shared hosting services ...
 

dibenco

New member
I guess if you got a personal website is best free hosting. A business site needs paid hosting. On the other hand, I prefer free hosting with cpanel. Thanks
 

jbjenterprises

New member
Magics said:
Webhosting should be free or for some charge still stay as unanswered question. Some people think that webhosting is better to be freebies and others prefer hosting only money. I think that answer on that question depends under the circumstances. If somebody want to use webhosting for social communication and exchanging points of view on various themes than free hosting in any case will support peoples free expression, mutual understanding and progress. So, in such cases webhosting is most preferable to be granted for free. However, if somebody is in a business and wants to use webhosting for business purposes and its advertizing than definitely he should invest in his business web presence. But I think that on the business start up stage webhosting is better given by hosting provider on the low costs.

Sometimes when one is in the developing stage of a website, it is best to use the free services, especially if you are not using a lot of databases. This enables you to get your basic framework set and published on the web, and work out any problems with the page. Even after you get the page going, it is great to allow the page to stay on the free service until the number of hits or customers causes a need to move to a paid service. This is what many free services actually expect. They expect that you will eventually need their paid services. When it comes time to switch to a paid service, it is much easier to stay with the current hosting provider than downloading, uploading and configuring your site on another host. So, free hosting services act as a way of marketing paid hosting services. There are those who would never need to upgrade, and that is fine, too. I am sure that hosting services figure in the cost and turnover rate, and allow for a percentage that never switch to paid hosting.


strokerace said:
The only difference between free and paid hosting in most case is the support and some features. For an example, its hard to find free host that offers SSL and Curl

Many times free hosting is a lot slower than paid hosting, even slower that shared paid hosting. I hear that Gigarank is one of the best free hosting services.

I hope to determine if that is true.
 

Genesis

Administrator
vtdpro said:
The only difference between free and paid hosting in most case is the server uptime
Explain how much up time there is in free versus paid hosting? :unknown:
 

asexual synergy

New member
Hmmm, I've had ZERO downtime and the responses to my questions/problems/hosting requests have ALWAYS been answered within an hour and fixed within two hours. So what's the difference between paid hosting and free hosting here? Here we get above average Customer Service, Admins that actually interact with us, plenty of room in our free hosting accounts and a community type feeling as a member. For free. If Gigarank started charging I'd pay without a second thought. Just my 2 cents worth of an opinion. :smile:
 

GigaGreg

Moderator
Staff member
If I was a normal user, then I only would pay extra money on Gigarank to get more space, other than that free shared webhosting is perfectly fine.

I agree with @"asexual synergy" that Admins are very good and our customer service is very good. Gigarank has better free hosting than most of the average paid hosts out there!
 
I think if what you are doing is simple and it wont be the end of the world if there is a small problem then free hosting is certainly just fine. If you think you may have some specific technical needs or need to talk to a human then I would probably go with paid. Have been fine with bluehost and godaddy if you don't mindd waiting 20 minutes on hold:bomb:
 

mixxxan

New member
I find this option a great one opportunity for non-commercial organizations to stay in touch whilst spending money on more vital needs.