What, Exactly, Constitutes a "Static Front Page"?

Anomie

I'm having a bit of grief with my title page settings and would prefer to just have this rather than the other "Latest Posts" option -- but I'm not clear of what the static front page would actually consist in my theme. Must it be a post? A graphic?

I know this is a very basic question, but I'm stumped trying to set it up.

Genesis

Administrator
It can be anything, a post or a page. Depending on the theme. One usually gets it under "customize" and once you start clicking on the "static page" it goes into a logical direction. :p

I prefer using a page and haven't tried a post yet. Will check it out later tonight as it has me curious.

Anomie

These answers are pretty much what I expected, it's just that my theme seems to handle it a little inscrutably.

I thought I was misunderstanding the concept.

I'll try again.

Thanks!

Genesis

Administrator
The page can be anything new or anything existing in a post or a page. Depending on whether the theme supports a static front page, but almost all themes I've worked with so far do. It's one of those WordPress things where it's better not to overthink it. Just let the clicking work your way out of it.

Capture2.png

Capture.png

It all depends on what your site is about. On mine, I have Articles of subjects that users are interested in. I don't use WP for my site though. But I can't see it being much different. A lot of people put an introduction and an explanation of what their site is about. Just remember, everyone is different and have different ideas. 99% of the time, its your front page that google uses for its search engines and ranking. So, make it special, and catchy so users will tell others and come back over and over.