What is a VPS - VPS FAQs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
What is a VPS?What is the difference between a dedicated server and a VPS?What is the difference between reseller hosting and a VPS?
Some hosting providers offer reseller hosting plans that give users the capability to manage e-mail, FTP and multiple domains. These Reseller Server plans are popular with small business owners who are managing many domains. These plans, however, fall short if you want to install a software application or if you need to use a specific version of an operating system or a database. With VPS, you can, via remote, desktop administration tools, install and update software applications and operating systems.

Are VPSs secure?What are the benefits of a VPS?

You get the benefits of a dedicated server at a fraction of the cost.
You can install you own operating system / version.
You can add and remove software applications at will.
You can modify you environment for optimum performance.
Greater level of security.

Who should be using a VPS?
Any person who has a good working knowledge of Websites and who would like to expand on the resources when shared hosting is no longer sufficient. Since this is a Linux VPS, the person would need to have some basic knowledge of Linux commands. VPS is basically a do it yourself environment where support comes at an additional cost.

What kind of support can I expect?How can I set up my VPS from a Windows environment?
You will need a SSH client such as PuTTY and know some basic Linux commands. For how to set up PuTTY and more information about commands please check this page:
http://giga-vps.net/getting-in/

Are there any control panels provided with a VPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.