What is your preference - Photoshop or GIMP?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I love GIMP. Probably because I'm lazy and not a graphic artist and I also like to support Open Source Software. Everything in GIMP is simple. Photoshop is a bit more complicated, and it would require plenty of energy for me to learn all of the features. I'm not as much into the advanced part of graphics to the extent that I would be able to justify investing in Photoshop.

Maximus

I love GIMP myself. It's just so damn easy to access. To download and to work with. And so many people use it that there are loads of tutorials and YouTube How To presentations for anything I need to know. PhotoShop is probably great for people who have the time as well as aren't as lazy as I am. Must say some of the stuff that comes from Photoshop is great, and now and then I wonder whether I should just go for the pain and learning curve as it may be worth my while.

mailbox_bomber

I'm into GIMP myself. Don't have the foggiest how Photoshop works, and way beyond my pocket too as I'm pretty much living on the bread line. Paint.net is also not too bad either, and free as well.

J

Justin

I'm a very basic user of GIMP. Must say it does what I want.

Pauline

I do well with GIMP and it has served me well. I like to do my graphics fast as I don't have time for fancy add ons. If I have more time however one day, Photoshop probably would be a great tool to have. For now I'd rather get a friend of mine to create the more advanced special effects for me.

Cherry

i love Photoshop :search: because it's one of the most useful photo-editing applications for both web and print.. And i really love to use in many works.. but the costs too much :mega_shock:

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Cherry said:
i love Photoshop :search: because it's one of the most useful photo-editing applications for both web and print.. And i really love to use in many works.. but the costs too much :mega_shock:
Great stuff Cherry. Do you have experience with working with Photoshop Elements as well, and how would the two compare with one another?

hydra

I love Photoshop CS5. It's the only Photoshop I'm use to. I barely use GIMP purely because it hasn't got all the features I require for my image needs. I do like the way GIMP has been laid out.

RJNGFX

I've only ever used Photoshop, but I've been using it a while, I think I came across GIMP once and wanted to open photoshop again and cry myself to sleep, simply because I got too used to it and daredn't explore.
I guess I should give it a go?:p

nduwib

I think photoshop is more powerful and has more functions though. In the newest version of photoshop, a lot of new tools are added. So people can experiment using those tools to manipulate images.

amethyst

I'm a GIMP user, having dropped Photoshop about 6 years ago. Once I stopped doing print work with InDesign it lost its appeal.

The GIMP developer community is strong and their vision fits with my graphics and image needs for the web.

I love free open source software (FOSS), my entire development lifecycle for web applications utilises FOSS at every point.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. I've got a soft spot for FOSS too. Probably the reason I'm with Mozilla Firefox. Can't help but admit Google Chrome is better, for that matter Google anything is better, but I'm sticking with Firefox because of sentiment, as well as being naturally resistant to big corporations in whose interest it is to know as much as they can about me. :p

amethyst

Genesis said:
Agreed. I've got a soft spot for FOSS too. Probably the reason I'm with Mozilla Firefox. Can't help but admit Google Chrome is better, for that matter Google anything is better, but I'm sticking with Firefox because of sentiment, as well as being naturally resistant to big corporations in whose interest it is to know as much as they can about me. :p

I'm more concerned with the US government and my own in NZ. Spying on citizens in the name of national security. But you're certainly right that Google/Facebook/Amazon/Apple know far too much about us. Real time mobile device location tracking was a few steps too far for me.