What OS system/s are you using?

W

winstonsmythe

I'm using Qube-OS as my main operating system as I think it's the closest to a secure operating system that's available as the moment.

I also use:

* Linux Mint - this is what I introduce customers to and those who have only ever used Windows
* Debian Netinstall - this can be so customised, it's great
* BSD - secure, harder to use but well worth learning
* Fedora - offshoot of redhat and I use this for various virtual machines
* Sun Solaris so that I can keep my hand in true UNIX but less so since Sun Microsystems bought them
* Windows XP/7 ... 10 - I work as a penetration tester and I'm often asked to check the security of these operating systems inclduing Microsoft Server

adrenal

I'm using the latest version of Windows 10 enterprise at the end of 2019 year I think it could be the last OS for Windows series and It is so good and fast and easy to use with a nice and unic customization and it's totally different from the Windows 7,8 OS versions!

Mitchellgled

I use my Windows 10 PC for everyday activities and I use my iMac for my coding and website designing. Both are perfect for what I need them for!

VIOTISI

I mostly use Debian, which is the best for me if productivity and other well-known advantages of this system are required.
Although if you need "everything out of the box", not a bad solution is Deepin, a rather good product design and additional features such as an official media player or usb installer and so on.
Well, sometimes I use Windows 10 LTSC, it is much better than the Pro version, without unnecessary garbage and perpetual updates.

JimTrops

I'm hanging on to Windows 7 until it gets left behind January 14th! At which point, possibly going to make the leap for a Linux system... Never used it before so I have no idea what to expect.
Is there anyone who can tell me whether it's worth it or not?
I'm in half a mind to just get Windows10 despite it's massively restrictive nature and countless uncalled for updates, since I'm lazy and don't know if I can handle the drama of a change in OS! Please help!

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
JimTrops said:
I'm hanging on to Windows 7 until it gets left behind January 14th! At which point, possibly going to make the leap for a Linux system... Never used it before so I have no idea what to expect.
Is there anyone who can tell me whether it's worth it or not?
I'm in half a mind to just get Windows10 despite it's massively restrictive nature and countless uncalled for updates, since I'm lazy and don't know if I can handle the drama of a change in OS! Please help!
I'm exactly where you are. When you discover a Linux system with GUI that works for you, would be great if you shared it with Gigarocket. No doubt there are millions out there going through exactly what you and I are going through right now.

EvilSmoothie

OS X High Sierra. It's an old 2010 MacBook Pro machine so it can't upgrade to the newest versions. That said - It is still running strong. I have never had a windows laptop run 10 years and still run like my MacBook Pro is today. Can't see I would ever want to go back to a windows laptop for that reason alone!

enzomatrix

Everyday I work on an Ubuntu MATE distro. It has the look of the old Gnome and it's lightweight.
At home I have a latest default Ubuntu which is heavier but powerful.

sssgp

Just installed Windows10 on my office PC. Welcome upgared. Is really fast to come up and shutdown. Bit defender is great.

Have Win7 going strong at home in the 2 PCs. On my laptop have double boot ubuntu and old vista. Not able to upgrade from vista as the Toshiba laptop is old, has only 2GB max RAM.
gp

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
sssgp said:
Not able to upgrade from vista as the Toshiba laptop is old, has only 2GB max RAM.
gp
Does this then mean one needs more than 2GB RAM for Windows 10? What specs would be the minimum for successful Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7?

sssgp

2 GB might just about be enough, which is what I am finding out in the latest upgrade of my office PC. But what is really slowing down the laptop is the IO operations on the HDD. It's an A205 Toshiba laptop. Thanks for your enquiry. Would welcome any ideas on making my laptop more useful.
gp

kblee

Windows 10 on the home PC and laptop. Home PC has a Mac OS snapshot in VirtualBox and Ubuntu but I never have any use for them at the moment.