What should I use, WordPress, Drupal, Joomla

pepedeticher

I need to create a website with support material for my Youtube video courses. In the website you will find a summary of each lesson, along with a downladable pdf for offline reading. I'll be creating one different page for each course or lesson. At first I thought about creating a wiki for this, but while it would do the job, I don't like the look of MediaWiki and similar software. It's quite poor design-wise.

I'm not sure about adding also a blog section (and other stuff), I could do that in the future. But the most important part will be the course notes.

What would be the best approach? WordPress? Drupal? Joomla? Other?

Thx.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Depends which script you have the most experience with. All three scripts require some experience in order to use them secure and expertly. They're not easy.

If you have no experience with the three scripts then WordPress is the most recommended because it has a huge website with resources and loads of documentation by other users. You can find plenty of training materials of high quality, better than Joomla and Drupal. Also it is easier to update WordPress scripts than Joomla. And if Joomla and Drupal are not updated regularly, then there is a good chance that they can be hacked. Ditto WordPress if you don't know what you're doing.

WordPress also has a lot of free styles to choose from, as well as plugins, but it's always important to check out the WordPress site whether the styles and plugins are approved by WordPress and still actively maintained by their authors.

The site below has some free tutorials that may be useful for beginners who haven't used Wordpress before, or users who want to explore WordPress further to get the most out of the script:

https://wpapprentice.com/courses/free-wordpress-tutorials/

pepedeticher

Thanks, Genesis. The website looks really useful. Actually I have WordPress in mind, so I'll probably end up using it. I have played around with all three scripts, but I'm concerned about the "wiki-like" structure I want for my website. The plan is to make perhaps more that 100 summary pages per year, so that's why I really want to make sure I'll take the right decision. I've seen there are wiki plugins for WordPress, but I don't know if they work well.

What I really don't want is to find out I took the wrong decision after having added hundreds of pages.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
The beauty of WordPress is also you can use it like a static Website by turning off all of the visitor options. To do that you usually go in the reading option and turn off all of the media related and feedback options. If you do that you can use the pages for your Web pages, and then have a blog attached to it as well.

pepedeticher

I think I'll definitely go for Wordpress, and try a few wiki plugins. Or maybe I can just keep adding pages hierarchically (sections/courses/lessons). I'm sure Wordpress will do. Thanks for your help!

seijih

pepedeticher said:
I need to create a website with support material for my Youtube video courses. In the website you will find a summary of each lesson, along with a downladable pdf for offline reading. I'll be creating one different page for each course or lesson. At first I thought about creating a wiki for this, but while it would do the job, I don't like the look of MediaWiki and similar software. It's quite poor design-wise.

I'm not sure about adding also a blog section (and other stuff), I could do that in the future. But the most important part will be the course notes.

What would be the best approach? WordPress? Drupal? Joomla? Other?

Thx.
For online courses you could test something specific like moodle or search for a plugin for some cms that you already have some knowledge in, in your case you mentioned wordpress, then you could search for some LMS plugin for wordpress where you could build the entire course on your website, putting the video lesson on youtube and incorporating it on your website and already putting all the support material, and in the future if you want you could sell courses if this plugin has any payment integration.

hunky

Wordpress is the way to go for someone who doesn't have much experience with scripting. It has really awesome list of theme, plugins and such, along with awesome community support.

Lot easier compare to Joomla or Drupal to locate just that right themes & plugin one would require for any type of project and chances are, the problem one may face is already well documented to find that solution.

People who have some scripting knowledge or have advance skills with php or such may like Joomla for its excellent flexibility to scale up or integrate with other stuff.

Stay away from Joomla or Drupal unless you are familiar with scripting languages & such skills. It can get frustrating at times being stuck.

Just my personal experience

Thanks.

vhgroup

To be honest I wouldn't use any of them... They are a huge headache when it comes to security.

Of course, they do have their place... If you wish to develop a complex site quickly then the plugin ecosystem of Drupal and WordPress are fantastic. However, if you are looking to create a simple, fast website then you can't go wrong with traditional HTML, or even a static site generator such as Gatsby, Jekyl or Eleventy, where you can "generate" a static site while still using templates, markdown and even build tools to do things such as compress your javascript/css etc.

tbelldesignco

It honestly depends, I recommend Wordpress because free themes and plugins are readily available along with tutorials, but the other three options also have some great qualities to them. With Wordpress, the sky is the limit and the interfaces are really straight forward and easy to navigate.

hostplus13

See It Is Totally Upon What Purpose You Are Fulfilling With That Script. Every Script Have Their Own Feature Own Installation Methods.

In Case Of Blogging You Must Go With WordPress Because It Has Better Optimisation With Theme And Plugins.
You Can Design Much Better Design In It With The Help Of Designing Plugins And Can Also Get More Optimized Themes In Its Store Without Any Coding Skills.

hostplus13

See It Is Totally Upon You What Purpose You Are Fulfilling With That Script. Every Script Have Their Own Feature Own Installation Methods.

In Case Of Blogging You Must Go With WordPress Because It Has Better Optimisation With Theme And Plugins.
You Can Design Much Better Design In It With The Help Of Designing Plugins And Can Also Get More Optimized Themes In Its Store Without Any Coding Skills.

Drupal And Joomla Can Also Be A Better Option But A Little Bit Coding Should Be Necessary

elmialborz

In fact, these three content management programs are not very different from each other. But if you need a simpler and easier program or you are just starting out, WordPress will probably be easier for you.
But if you are a programmer, I suggest you design your website template yourself.
I have to tell you that every program has its pros and cons. But WordPress is simpler.
Anyway, your opinion is important and I suggest you try all three programs yourself and each one was better for you to use.

Thanks

Gwame

This is bringing back memories to when I was managing websites in the mid 2000s. Drupal was around, so was Wordpress, but Joomla hadn't come about quite yet AFAIK. It think it was preceded by something called Mambo?

And there was another CMS that had a great balance of simplicity and complexity called MKPortal, but that got discontinued unfortunately.

pcbox

https://starsone.site/تحويل-دينار-اردني-الى-جنيه-مصري/
http://marebradio.com/تحويل-جنيه-مصري-الى-دينار-جزائري/
https://angosiam.com/اسعار-البنزين-في-مصر-سنة-1980/
https://myfemalefunda.com/كيفية-الاستثمار-فى-الذهب/