What's the oldest application you still use?

Sometimes it's surprising how well certain programs can hold up over the years and through new versions of operating systems. Never someone to always need the latest and greatest, I'm much more interested in how long I can keep using software while still having it do what I need it to do.

I have a tuner on my mac, ZeroBeat Deluxe that still does what I need it to do that's about eleven years old. I'm going to check my computer at work when I get there.

Anyone have any really old pieces of software still getting regular use? I'm talking about the date of most recent update or version and not the original creation date.

I suppose operating systems could count, though that might be a whole other question.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Very good question!

For me it`s probably playing around with Windows 98 and installing old programs for sentimental value. My first PC ran windows 98 and I have very fond memories! I use a website called Old Versions ( www.oldapps.com ) where I hunt out old programs I previously used.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Great question HR. Mine is Adobe Acrobat 5.0 for welding PDF files together, deleting and adding text and exporting image files. It was low cost at the time I bought it, simple and not as weighty and super expensive as the new Adobe Acrobat software. I'll probably have to give it up though when I move from Windows XP at home to Windows 7. Dang! :p

Sander k

I guess Aida 32. Which is a benchmark program to test older pc's up to the single core Pentium 4.

ogah

Genesis said:
Great question HR. Mine is Adobe Acrobat 5.0 for welding PDF files together, deleting and adding text and exporting image files. It was low cost at the time I bought it, simple and not as weighty and super expensive as the new Adobe Acrobat software. I'll probably have to give it up though when I move from Windows XP at home to Windows 7. Dang! :p

i am also still using adobe acrobat 5.0 on my win7 :)

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
ogah said:
Genesis said:

i am also still using adobe acrobat 5.0 on my win7 :)
Glad I'm not the only one ... ^.^

Tolkin

MW-Snap.

Its a clean and simple screen-shotting tool that I use when im trying to measure pixels out, or when I try to grab some pics from the internet.

dxverm

Its a program I got off a random website back in the early 2000's called KleanFreak.exe. Essentially it is a web browser cache cleaner along with recycling bin and history. I believe this is where I got it years ago! KleanFreak

dxverm said:
Its a program I got off a random website back in the early 2000's called KleanFreak.exe. Essentially it is a web browser cache cleaner along with recycling bin and history. I believe this is where I got it years ago! KleanFreak

Great name!

codemaster42

I still have an old ibm computer that plays a game called su-27. Its a flight simulator game where you fly the russion jet called the su-27. Its an awesome game and something that i can't give up.

[video=youtube]youtu.be/pAoMPGoVNG4[/video]

codemaster42

helpremember said:
That looks like a lot of fun. How old are the computer and the game?

I believe the game is from 1995 and the computer is a BM NetVista Pentium III 733mhz 256mb ram. I think :search:

Peter

I don't know. Most programs I use have been installed from the package manager so they are not very old.

If games count it has to be the oldest type of program that I still use. I like playing old adventure games from the late 80s and early 90s using DOSBox or ScummVM.

bnvivek

The first computer that ever operated was Windows 95.
Anyone remembers the default game applications that came loaded like "Sky" and "Dave"? Both of them are a world to themselves, I still have them installed on my present machine and keep playing them randomly.

bucqs

Windows Media Player still which gives quality output. Just compared with winamp & JetAudio. :)

Serven

I don't think I have any. Becoming more and more impossible to have any old applications on Windows. Oldest probably is my GIMP 2.6 as I prefer to use an older version than the one that is currently available.