Which protocol is the better one to use with a VPN?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I've been researching two VPN service providers and notice references to protocols. Which one is the better one to use? My preferences in order of priority are speed and simplicity of accessing the Internet (don't want the IP to die on me, slow down or freeze up because the protocol is complicated), security second. If I chose PPTP would it be simpler to install and operate than OpenVPN? What are the cons of OpenVPN?

PeaceSigns

OpenVPN is better because anyone can download the open source client and use it freely (e.g., Linux, OSx and Windows). But if you go with pptp, you have to do a bit of modification on Linux oses to get it work - also I think macs/osx have to install special software just for that to work.

I prefer openvpn.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Lifestyle, I'm aware of Linux and Mac, but I'm not using any of the two. And that is not really relevant to my objectives. I'm interested in speed first of all. Secondly easy and uncomplicated access to the IPs which don't freeze up. Thirdly security.

abc1

PPTP is very old and not as secure as other protocols but it is the easiest to set up.

I would strongly suggest you look for IPSEC VPN tunnels with strong Encryption algos for Phase 1 and Phase 2.

If you wish to find out more look it up.

Note: Windows 7 PCs can do Layer 2 Tunneling Protocor/IPSEC natively - which is better than PTPP.

Look up this for a more secure VPN solution.

jaran

Im using openvpn to connect my internet for android. This app is really amazing like as pc version. We just need to download free config ovpn to use it.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
jaran said:
Im using openvpn to connect my internet for android. This app is really amazing like as pc version. We just need to download free config ovpn to use it.
I just checked it out and can't believe it, as proxies are blocked in the UAE. I was able to get the openvpn home page up. Is it new? How do they make their money? As looks as though it is free?

binil

Genesis said:
jaran said:
I just checked it out and can't believe it, as proxies are blocked in the UAE. I was able to get the openvpn home page up. Is it new? How do they make their money? As looks as though it is free?

Open VPN is an open source application. The program is free. But the service based on open vpn platform may not be free. If you would like to have a free service based on open vpn, then please try
vpnbook.com
freevpn.me
vpnme.me

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
My point was more about being surprised it was not blocked in a country where it is illegal to have proxies and ALL proxy sites are blocked. I was puzzled why i was able to access it. So thought in all probability it had to be new.

sky103

PPTP is best for performance and fast speed.

OpenVPN is not easy. Need software install, config file and use more resource for server(if you have own server)

_Hoh_

OpenVpn is very easy on a linux server,

and you can run the client very nicely even on your smartphone.

Good luck!

hamid147

openvpn is easier to setup and run and secure, lately i have been using pptp and most of the time i lose connection on my vpn but when i was using openvpn i did not have this problem

cutaliviu

That will not change the illegal part. You are accessing resources via VPN, so basically the traffic is tunneled and encrypted, the disclosure of your browsing stuff in only in the application layer on you PC. Proxy uses HTTP or SOCKS as protocols, which are monitored/banned in UAE

travismailsa

L2TP VPN or you can try a free proxy and use something like proxifier if youre trying to mask your connectivity abit, Tor is an option :), a awesome free vpn service is cyberghost.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I can't stress security with VPNs more enough - please be careful with using cheap VPNs as they may land you in trouble. Only go for VPNs that have a good reputation and do proper research of the service - checking reviews - before you use it.