Who watches Game of Thrones?

coffeekatt

I've seen all the four seasons up until now and read the two first books. However I thought the first seasons was really hard to get into because of the slow start. But it really picked up after that. Hound <3

seliol

I watched the first 2 seasons, then read 3 books, then started watching the seasons again years later.
Enjoying it more now.
Arya is a favourite ofc.
Can't stand reading most Lannister chapters in the books, :mega_shock:

smalpierre

I started watching a few months ago, started at the beginning and marathon watched - I was hooked and I'm not a big TV guy.

My favorite house is the 1 person house - House Targaryen. Daenerys Targaryens morals are solid as a rock, she's got a good heart - and she's beautiful too. I only wish that brother of hers had met a more torturous and painful end.

Tyrion Lannister is my favorite character, probably because he's a lot like me - except he's short and rich.

Jaime Lannister has turned out to be a pretty good guy. Turns out he did everybody a favor when he killed the king. He did have a lapse in morals when he did his sister-lovers bidding and pushed the Stark kid out of the window but people do a lot of things they wouldn't otherwise do when prompted by their lover.

As a whole though, the Lannisters are pretty despicable - ruled by Tywin - a selfish tyrant, and his despicable daughter Cerci. I consider her and all her kids Lannisters, they were only using Baratheon as a pawn to get to the throne. The kids are all Jaimes anyway. Tywin, Cerci, Joffrey ... not much to like. Cerci isn't bad on the eyes, she reminds me of an ex - who was also a psychob..wordimnotsupposedtosayhere :p

The Starks don't impress me that much except for Arya. Their moral ground fluctuates when it's convenient. Like Jon Snow - they didn't treat him very well. They were happy to let him think that the Nights Watch was a noble calling rather than a band of conscripted criminals. Sansa started out as a silly lovestruck spoiled brat. I still felt bad for her when she got what she asked for though - Joffrey. Now she's learning to be as pragmatic as the rest of the house. They aren't all bad though. I would agree that if you are convicted enough to sentence someone to death, you should be convicted enough to do it yourself.

House Baratheon - Robert was a neglectful oaf. Wanted to be king, but didn't want the responsibility - like a deadbeat dad. His brother Stannis is a religious zealot. Stannis's wife is crazy and treats her daughter with contempt - just like I've seen a lot of religious zealots do in the bible belt. At the same time, she's a-ok with her husband cheating on her, as long as it's for god - and their charlatan red lady is a power hungry fraud, kind of like the megachurch leaders in the good ole deep south. I wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire. Renly was the best that bunch had to offer, even though he was all about marrying that little strumpet Margaery Tyrell - his lovers cousin - as a political expediency. Margaery didn't care who she married as long as she got to be the queen.

I think Tyrion and Daenerys should hook up and go take the throne.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
smalpierre said:
I started watching a few months ago, started at the beginning and marathon watched - I was hooked and I'm not a big TV guy.
I've been eying the collection too, but knew that I'd be hooked and unable to do anything else. Well done! I really need to buckle down and do it too. But maybe over some serious holidays or something.

smalpierre

Genesis said:
smalpierre said:
I've been eying the collection too, but knew that I'd be hooked and unable to do anything else. Well done! I really need to buckle down and do it too. But maybe over some serious holidays or something.

Be prepared for some seriously screwed up stuff going down - good guys beheading their own people, whoremongering drunken dwarves, guys getting it on with their sisters, ice zombies - And that's just the first episode :)

I've got to get the books now.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
smalpierre said:
Be prepared for some seriously screwed up stuff going down - good guys beheading their own people, whoremongering drunken dwarves, guys getting it on with their sisters, ice zombies - And that's just the first episode :)

I've got to get the books now.
:heartylaugh: Sounds like great fun!

smalpierre

Oh it is! It's a lot of political intrigue with more than a healthy dose of twisted nakedsex and plenty of killin thrown in the mix :D

Yozora

@"Genesis" That's the way I feel about it too.. It seems interesting, but I'd be so behind at this point that catching up would be a huge time commitment. I'm more of a book person anyway, so I might try the books, but I heard they aren't finished & the author takes a long time to write them...

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Yozora said:
@"Genesis" That's the way I feel about it too.. It seems interesting, but I'd be so behind at this point that catching up would be a huge time commitment. I'm more of a book person anyway, so I might try the books, but I heard they aren't finished & the author takes a long time to write them...
I may do it too. Although I haven't read a book in ages. I'm waiting for my contract to be renewed at end of June. If not, I'll probably have plenty of time to get into reading again. :p

smalpierre

I rarely have time to read :(. It's not like the forums, where I can take a micro-break from work - its an hour or two commitment.

Yozora

@"Genesis" Hope it gets renewed!

@"smalpierre" Interesting...I do a lot of my reading on micro-breaks, or while waiting for buses and things (via my Kindle or phone). XD That & a half-hour or so of reading before bed, and I tend to finish a book or two a week, on average. I don't mind just reading a few pages at a time though, and I can see how it would take a while for people who usually like to read whole chapters though.

There are sometimes it's hard for me to only read a little at a time, usually with books I don't want to put down, but the wait usually makes returning to it all the better, and then if I switch between reading and daily life enough, the way I see things in real life starts to get influenced by what I'm reading...
I guess it's more common to spend breaks on stuff like Facebook browsing though.

smalpierre

I'll pick up a book and get stuck for hours, or days haha! Especially books like that. I don't like to read a few pages at a time, I have to re-read what I just read ... it's pointless.

Yozora

LOL, I know what you mean! In my ideal world I would probably have a room which freezes time outside it, so I could go in, read for hours, and then go outside and still have plenty of time for whatever I needed to do that day. As things are now, I just try and fit in reading time whenever I can.

smalpierre

I can do exactly that if I chose. Nobody tells me where to be, when to be there ... I could theoretically not leave my room for a week and nobody but the dogs would notice. The thing is, that I've got to be doing things that people pay me to do - and so far nobody has been willing to pay me to read. Well sometimes, but don't tell them that ;)

smalpierre

ubflhd said:
I have watched it as only because Carice van Houten was playing in at , but enjoy the show .

Melisandra is pretty, but I hate her character possibly even more than Cerci.

Yozora

@"smalpierre" LOL. Yeah, but people can't survive without some way of making money, as you said, so I can't just spend 4-5 hours reading, like I did during Summers growing up, not to mention I still would want time for friends, family & hobbies. *sigh*

Maybe I should just finally get to reading Lord of the Rings instead. XD It's also a midieval-like fantasy with magic elements, and at least it's finished, so I wouldn't need to wait an eternity between volumes...Hmm...

neofini

**SPOILER?**
This season is quite boring. We have longer episodes, but nothing is happening. The sand snakes are annoying and idiot. And Tommen needs some balls as well.

smalpierre

Tommen does need some balls. That gene must have skipped a generation, neither of his parents are punks...

What an end to the season though! For once, I'm pulling for Cersi. She made those rubes, she can break them! I'd love to see the clergy class impaled on the city walls.

The kings guard shouldn't have let her get arrested by the inquisition anyway. They should have killed them all for trying.