Why such an old MyBB version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwabs

This is a genuine question...

With 1.8 and it's slew of features, plugins, and themes. It seems like a no-brainer to update. Not to mention the security of it.

I'm a fan of this place regardless and everything seems awesome thus far, but when I first came here that was the first thing I noticed, slow and clunky old MyBB... xD

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
We're currently working on upgrading to 1.8. We've got tons of plugins loaded, so it will take some special effort by the technical admin to reinstall the plugins and update the coding. He's an expert however at the deepest root level. So we're in the best of hands.

With regard to what 1.8 looks like. I've checked out the one at the myBB Community Forum and my experience there has been clumsy in comparison with my experience here. Probably something to get used to first. Once used to I'll probably be on the same page as you are.

Schwabs

Good to know, and I await that day! I didn't realize how many plugins were actually installed at first, but after a few posts I started to notice them more and more. Thanks for the reply!

GigaGreg

Staff member
Yeah, like Genesis said, such a big forum takes time to update. It will be updated asap and we will have better functionality here :)

Don't upgrade. There is just as many security issues in the new version then the old one. The best thing to do, is read what is in the new one. Take any security issues that may have been fixed and add that file to this one. That way, not much work is needed and it will not break the forums.

Snowflake

Hope to see a new theme here soon. Gigarank forums needs a facelift. :) Whenever that's possible. :friends:

GigaGreg

Staff member
strokerace said:
Don't upgrade. There is just as many security issues in the new version then the old one. The best thing to do, is read what is in the new one. Take any security issues that may have been fixed and add that file to this one. That way, not much work is needed and it will not break the forums.

Don't worry buddy, Un4saken is the one who will fix security issues. We are doing it to get fresh + to get forum responsive and working well with the modern technologies.

tangledmemories said:
Hope to see a new theme here soon. Gigarank forums needs a facelift. :) Whenever that's possible. :friends:

Yeah :) Guys will be working on it, but it will take a while.

xdude

Hardest thing is finding really good myBB themes. I have been searching for a nice responsive theme but every theme I have checked has some kind of problem. Same story with SMF responsive themes too. I guess the best solution is getting one custom made or go for one of those really expensive premium themes.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
xdude said:
Hardest thing is finding really good myBB themes. I have been searching for a nice responsive theme but every theme I have checked has some kind of problem. Same story with SMF responsive themes too. I guess the best solution is getting one custom made or go for one of those really expensive premium themes.
You hit the nail on the head with that xdude. That's probably also part of the reason we're not up and running yet with the new theme. Yet.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
DJB is working on it. As we speak. What's that saying about great minds think alike? :p

I am from the old school of thought. If you don't like something, you change it to your liking. Its also what all those paid themes have done.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
strokerace said:
I am from the old school of thought. If you don't like something, you change it to your liking. Its also what all those paid themes have done.
Right. People are making money out of that. And then other people who see gaps in security when paid themes are imperfectly designed get paid for creating better security. It's kind'a never ending whereas it could be very simple. For all of the effort to learn all the nooks and crannies of WordPress for example, maybe much better to learn where it all came from and do the design oneself.

xdude

Problem is not everyone have time to develop themes from scratch. Those premium themes have feature which would take months if you do it from scratch. Also usually reputed theme developers care more about security of their themes so frequently update and patch up their theme. This is something lack in most free themes. their developers release updates when they have time. It's same for not just Wordpress but also any other themes like myBB themes.

So unless I go for a welknown premium theme I always get themes from WordPress repository only. Never from external sites. Also I keep an eye of support topics of the theme etc. It's same when it comes to Forum themes.

Schwabs

MyTrade is a beautifully made theme, at least I think so. I've already started fiddling with it myself, but not all plugins are compatible with all themes. So it's best to work from scratch.

I'm big into MyBB editing.

un4saken

Administrator
Theme is not a problem. The problem is, we have lots of custom plugins & snippets i've written. I need to re-write them if we upgrade our forum. If i have some free time we will work on this, no worry.

xdude

Oh ya that can be a real pain. I used to customize forum scripts too but few years back when SMF 2.x was released it had become a real nightmare.At end I just installed a fresh 2.x copy and set Data base and removed all customization.

BTW I really do like this myBB theme. I use it too. It's simple and load fast.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
The other day when I was at myBB HeadQuarters and tried to write a thread everything felt clumsy in the wrong place. I even made a double thread by accident out of the clumsiness. Must be because it's the new version 1.8 they are on? The thread window just looked VERY LONG. It's already long with 1.6 but with 1.8 felt much longer. Anyway, one probably will get used to it soon enough. 1.8 has been around for a good time period now, enough to be stable enough for the plunge.

xdude said:
Problem is not everyone have time to develop themes from scratch. Those premium themes have feature which would take months if you do it from scratch. Also usually reputed theme developers care more about security of their themes so frequently update and patch up their theme. This is something lack in most free themes. their developers release updates when they have time. It's same for not just Wordpress but also any other themes like myBB themes.

So unless I go for a welknown premium theme I always get themes from WordPress repository only. Never from external sites. Also I keep an eye of support topics of the theme etc. It's same when it comes to Forum themes.

Themes have nothing to do with security. Its just CSS. Its just as simple as changing colors and images. In most cases, its can be done in a day as the template is already their to follow. If there are security issues with a theme, that means they are sloppy coders and should never be coding in the first place.

un4saken said:
Theme is not a problem. The problem is, we have lots of custom plugins & snippets i've written. I need to re-write them if we upgrade our forum. If i have some free time we will work on this, no worry.

If your custom plugins and snippets don't work in the new versions, then that means its not worth upgrading then. Generally, when that stuff happens, its means its not the same any more and there are new security issues.

But good luck with it

admin

Administrator
Staff member
There is no rush for a myBB upgrade. There`s a popular saying "if it`s not broken, don`t fix it"

Un4saken has written many unique mods on this forums (mostly on moderation) that have took many hours if not day`s of coding, testing and implementation.

How about a whole new unified style for Gigarank to launch in January 2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.