Window 8 support ended today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microsoft stopped updating Windows 8 today, to push version 10 on people. Microsoft also ended support for versions 8, 9 and 10 of Internet Explorer. Version 11 will still work, but they are strongly promoting their new browser, Edge.

Considering that almost everyday we learn of more ways that Microsoft is using Windows 10 to snoop on its users, I strongly recommend switching to free Linux, now more than ever.

If you're timid of using Linux, the Ubuntu distribution is for you. I have installed it on a number of friend's computers, all of whom were novice-level computer literate, and only Windows experienced, and every single one of them loves it. The learning curve to transition from Windows to Ubuntu is almost nil. They love all the free application software that's out there, one-click available through the built-in Ubuntu software center, and they especially love the fact that their computers never get infected with a virus anymore.

Taken from this post here http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/12/mi...runch)&utm_content=FaceBook&sr_share=facebook

GigaGreg

Staff member
Depends on what you are doing on the computer. If you are gamer, you will end up switching to windows 10. If you are doing other things, you might switch to Linux.

Barnum4000

Well internet explorer wasn't very good anyway and what is the point of updating old software it just seems like a waist of time. What is the point of updating an old game to prevent hacking if you are not going make any money from it when you could be spending the time updating your new game which is earning money.

Yozora

Isn't support only being stopped because most Windows 8 users have upgraded to 8.1 by now? That said, I'm still wary of Windows 10, and would probably switch to Linux if I didn't need to leave Photoshop, Illustrator, and other Adobe design software I use for work behind...

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Yozora said:
Isn't support only being stopped because most Windows 8 users have upgraded to 8.1 by now?
What a relief. I automatically assumed Strokerace meant Windows 8.1 as well. It would be logical for me that Windows 8 wouldn't be supported. It has never been successful as a Windows. I really like Windows 8.1.

However regardless of Windows 8 support or no support.

There is a matter of principle at stake here for me. Microsoft WITHOUT MY PERMISSION is using my Windows 7 as a platform to promote Windows 10, and with each month is pushing it more and more aggressively under my nose and down my throat. That always has a reverse response in me.

I'm going to take Strokerace's advice and see whether I can change to Linux. I just hate the idea of Windows 10 and Microsoft forcing me to use all of its ancillary products.

@Strokerace. Is it possible to point us in the direction where we could download a simple version, as I'd like to test it in my Virtualbox.

riddict

I love playing game on my Computer, so switching to Linux is not an option right now.
And I've been using WIndows 10 for months now. And I enjoy it here.

As far as I can tell, its window 8 only and IE browsers up till 10.
I never used 8. Have shitty 8.1 on my other laptop. To me, there is no reason to switch from XP to anything newer. I don't play games so its not a big deal. Plus, about 90% of stuff for windows can be used on Linux now.
Over the years, I have drifted away from Linux mainly due to laziness and couldn't be bothered looking for the commands for installing some stuff.

But each his own I guess. If you want to be monitored and hacked, I guess you could go to 10, but I will never install it. I would spend $1500 on a Mac first.

Peter

I didn't know. I upgraded my parents computer from Windows 8 to Windows 10 a few weeks ago. The main improvments I have spotted is the start menu and that not all preinstalled programs goes into fullscreen mode, but I have not used it much myself so three are probably other things I have not noticed.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
strokerace said:
I never used 8. Have shitty 8.1 on my other laptop. To me, there is no reason to switch from XP to anything newer. I don't play games so its not a big deal. Plus, about 90% of stuff for windows can be used on Linux now.
Over the years, I have drifted away from Linux mainly due to laziness and couldn't be bothered looking for the commands for installing some stuff.

But each his own I guess. If you want to be monitored and hacked, I guess you could go to 10, but I will never install it. I would spend $1500 on a Mac first.
I'm with you Strokerace. I could probably Google this, but noticed your comment about setting up something simple for your friends who were beginner Linux users. Can you provide a link to how to set up the installation disk and the URL where one can copy the distribution from?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I don't want to do that for two reasons. It's not an update that goes away. With the next "automatic updates" it's right back again. So to get rid of it permanently requires special registration edits. Which I know how to do, but that brings me to the second reason why I like the pop up to be there. I like to watch my enemy closely and to see what it is doing. There is that saying that goes: Keep your friends close, but your enemies even closer. :p

Genesis said:
strokerace said:

I'm with you Strokerace. I could probably Google this, but noticed your comment about setting up something simple for your friends who were beginner Linux users. Can you provide a link to how to set up the installation disk and the URL where one can copy the distribution from?

Ok, first off, that text was copied from the post that I linked. It was not my words.

Now, with that said. Linux, unlike windows comes in many different distro's. They range from very light to complex. My suggestion would be to try a linux distro on a live CD. You can install it on a thumb drive and boot off it on start up. This way, you can try it out and see how it fits your needs.
You can find a program called Unetbootin. It actually has a list of Linux distro's that it will download and burn right to a USB drive. It has linux mint, damnsmalllinux, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, CentOs and many more to choose from. So, just search for Unebootin on google.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Sander k said:
WiFi stopped working when I upgraded to Windows 10.
I am sticking to Windows 8.1 for now.

:heartylaugh: I've heard of many complaints about Windows 10, but WiFi stop working is the first one I've heard so far.

I like Windows 8.1 as well. :good:

GeekGuy

I don't see much difference between windows 8 and 8.1. I was using windows 8 trial version when it came out, but without start button it was headache to work with. Most people didn't like it and downgraded to windows 7.

Funny thing is still around 10% people in the world use Windows XP and more than 50% still running windows 7. The latest version Windows 10 is really a great but has lots of problems need to be solved. I think they will also end support to 8.1 soon once Windows 10 is good to go. Microsoft already bombarding users with upgrade notices.

Actually, I think the number is closer to 30% of world use XP still. Majority of the hackers still use it along with Linux.

GeekGuy

strokerace said:
Actually, I think the number is closer to 30% of world use XP still. Majority of the hackers still use it along with Linux.

Hackers dont use any Microsoft operating system. Actually XP is best target for them.

GeekGuy said:
strokerace said:

Hackers dont use any Microsoft operating system. Actually XP is best target for them.
Shows how little you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.