Windows 10 Free upgrade for win 7 & 8 users

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Well that came as a little surprise, Microsoft today have announced that the new forthcoming version of Windows 10 will be available as a free upgrade to current users of Windows 7 and 8 for the first year of it`s release.

windows-10-upgrade_story.jpg

I did`nt expect that and no doubt it will have a very high adoption rate in it`s first year. Smart move by M$..

More info: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-...phone-81-windows-7-and-81-users-in-first-year

Genesis

Administrator
DJB said:
Well that came as a little surprise, Microsoft today have announced that the new forthcoming version of Windows 10 will be available as a free upgrade to current users of Windows 7 and 8 for the first year of it`s release.
WOW! What an excellent marketing pitch! Versus Windows XP. Great way to motivate people to get on board of Windows 10 - with bye bye Windows 7 and 8.

GigaGreg

Staff member
Wow that is very interesting, becuse other day I have read on the internet that we will have to pay to upgrade from Win7. Microsoft confuses every time.

UniTrans

What a surprise! Microsoft never offered free upgrade from Windows 7 to 8...how could they simply provide a free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10??? Wierd! :undecided: I doubt their motivation... :confused:

fyzz08

Take control over people minds is the motivation.
Still... it`s good news. I will upgrade my laptops to w10.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
fyzz08 said:
Take control over people minds is the motivation.
Still... it`s good news. I will upgrade my laptops to w10.

Think i`m on the same level as you, I will upgrade the laptop, as it`s only for light usage anyway. But i highly doubt I will upgrading my PC to win 10 anytime soon. Maybe 12 months after the release, give M$ some time to sort out any bugs.

Kelton2

Wait... does this mean that people who pirated Windows 7 can get Windows 10 free for no effort? What? Anyways, this will be useful for me. I have a Windows 7 PC (powerful, very capable of running 10) that I would like to upgrade when W10 comes out... free is better, right?

Gregoric

Kelton2 said:
Wait... does this mean that people who pirated Windows 7 can get Windows 10 free for no effort? What? Anyways, this will be useful for me. I have a Windows 7 PC (powerful, very capable of running 10) that I would like to upgrade when W10 comes out... free is better, right?

Pirated version users can upgrade their OS but nevertheless, the system will remain pirated. It's probably because of growing popularity of systems distributed freely, like Linux distros or OSX. Microsoft tries to make the pirates not leave the Windows family, seemingly ;)

Anyways, the update offer sounds really great. Even if someone does not have a copy of Windows 7 or 8 now (uses Mac or sth), they could buy a cheap license for WIndows 7 and then upgrade it. Pretty neat solution!

GigaGreg

Staff member
I don't agree with you. I use pirated windows 7 and from the technical point of view if I upgrade to windows 10 I will get a new and completely free operating system.

Gregoric

iGdesigner said:
I don't agree with you. I use pirated windows 7 and from the technical point of view if I upgrade to windows 10 I will get a new and completely free operating system.
Well, you may be right but after reading several news regarding this Microsoft's decision, I got an impression that the legally purchased/OEM Windows will not be treated the same as the pirated version. As I suppose, not all the updates will be released for the pirated version with the exception of security ones - those will surely be released for both legal and pirated version users.

I think that is a good move, as Microsoft is now possible to control (to a larger extend than before, at least) how are the pirated systems distributed and can supply them with security updates so that those users are not exposed to potential threats.

Anyways, I may be wrong about how are the systems will be treated. We will probably see soon :)

Kelton2

People seem to be misunderstanding- I'm not mad that people with pirated versions can upgrade, I'm just a little surprised that MS would allow something like that.

aya

they had to W8 was such a failure.
10 looks okay has many features that the new mint rebecca has (like previews in the start menu)
download Windows 10 free here

Genesis

Administrator
Suggest before people download Windows 10 to read all of the fine print first, such as that you will not be able to go back to your previous version. Only Windows 7 and 8 are upgradeable to Windows 10 and once changed to Windows 10, that is it, you won't be able to go back to your Windows 7 or 8. This offer is only available for a year.

I have two licenses for Windows 7, so may try an upgrade out later in the year after I've heard the feedback of others first.

GigaGreg

Staff member
Unfortunately when you have a pirated version of the operating system, when you upgrade to the windows 10, it will remain as pirated version, Microsoft says that It will loose on the quality and services from software companies, but I dubt it as everything is the same on the pirated version or legal one.

Genesis

Administrator
When I was helping a friend here in South Africa to get on the Internet with Windows XP, after 111 updates, Microsoft came out of the wood work asking whether it could authenticate the operating software as a true copy. If not, it would be reminding and I knew it would be with that characteristically black screen of it. Fortunately it was authentic. BUT of course encouraged my friend to change to Windows 7/8 as soon as possible.