Windows 7 or windows 10?

jenniferuq1309

I hate Win10. Way slower than Win7. Our church has an i5 with 8GB. About 2 years old. Fairly fast. It's used to project powerpoint slides. (Well, it has other computers, but this is the one I get to use. Don't know if the same problem affected the other computers. Everyone I asked say they noticed Win10 is slower. None said it was faster). Sometime last year, it was decided to upgrade all the computers there from Win7 to Win10.

The PPT-PC used to take about 30s to boot. Shutdown was faster. Browse to any folder, they snap open instantly. Double click on a PPT file, and it starts playing in less than 1s.

Now, it takes about 1m to boot. Sometimes, it takes a few minutes. One time, it took nearly 2 hours, trying to update to FCU. Yes, our Internet was slow, but it didn't gave an option to defer the upgrade till later. We had to run to the office to get a laptop.

After the "upgrade", browse to any folder, they sometimes show up instantly, sometimes not. Sometimes, it'll just freeze for like 5 to 10 seconds, while something happens in the background. Double click on a PPT file, PPT now never takes less than 3s to load. To play the slideshow, it's anywhere from 5 to 20s.

We have a pastor who sometimes like insert some random song in the middle of his sermon. The congregation is supposed to sing with him. We're supposed to put the words up on screen. The songs are all already on the hard disk, indexed by the first line. So it isn't all that difficult. We used to be able to do it quite fast. With the Win10, he's sometimes done with the chorus and into the second verse before anything even shows up on the projector screen. :undecided:

airthegame

Im used windows 7 still 5year. I try windows 10 but dont like because,
too violent and too "modern" for me. I remain a windows 7 user

ninjafx

yash333 said:
Can anyone tell me that should i update from windows 7 to windows 10? And is there any way to disable spy feature in windows 10??If yes please tell here..

yes it is recommended you have to upgrade your operating system from Windows 7 to Windows 10, upgrading the operating system makes the operating system on your computer be protected because Windows 10 has used the latest features, but if your computer's hardware specifications are lower it is better to still use Windows 7 and update Windows 7 is the latest, because Windows 10 is much heavier and takes up more resources than Windows 7, do you mean the spy feature is like a keylogger?

ninjafx

airthegame said:
Im used windows 7 still 5year. I try windows 10 but dont like because,
too violent and too "modern" for me. I remain a windows 7 user
I also use the Windows 7 operating system because the specifications of my computer are low, only use 2GB RAM and Intel dual core 2.27 GHz processor, I don't think it's time to upgrade to Windows 10, when I try to upgrade to Windows 10, Windows 10 features are much more complete from Windows 7, but with low hardware specifications Windows 10 feels very heavy because when operating on my computer some programs run slow and hang, and finally I downgrade to Windows 7 again hahaaaa ... :yahoo:

jelle619

As for the better operating system, I would definitely pick Windows 7. It's solid, stable and is not infamous for spying on people.

As for which operating system to actually install in 2019, though, I would go with Windows 10 despite all the controversies. Windows 7 is going to be discontinued soon, and Windows 10 will be the only OS to support all the new developments.

Averey

Windows 10 can have more bugs than Windows 7. But I think for the graphics and the rest it's more usable in 2019

mannpaul

It's only good to update if you are into PC gaming. Otherwise to protect your privacy I would stick with Win7 as in Win10 your data is collected anytime.

Revasnake

Windows 7 is more vulnerable to viruses and attacks as its security isn't the best. As security is developing and getting better windows 7 doesn't hold back in 2019, and so i recommend that you get windows 10 if you dont have it already. Plus, it is faster and in my opinion - the better operating system.

alternjt360

Windows 10 has changed over the years it has far more advanced features that now allow you to disable a lot of privacy invasion settings. Truth be told, I don't know how secure it is. It is the main operating system that will get updates though.

There are many tools out there like third party software that will modify the host file, registry, and block things but this in of itself I believe is risky to use. I would prefer to do it manually. It could corrupt your operating system or it might have malicious code. I am not saying it does, but there is always that possibility.

Windows 7 is quite nice and I wish Microsoft kept it updated, but if you consider the implications of privacy violations then I would have to say Windows 7 is now insecure since it is rarely updated and will eventually be ended for even large companies. I use Windows 10, if you need Windows 7 then you could run it in a virtual machine if you desire.

It is up for debate which one is secure. I believe it is more dangerous to keep using an operating system that is no longer updated than any spying Microsoft might be doing. I believe you can file GDPR request to see what data they have on you (I could be wrong). Anyway, I would go with Windows 10.

carsssson

My computer came with Windows 10, and just the user interface is pretty annoying to me. Instead of the start button, there is a Windows button that opens up to an incomplete list of programs next to a moving mosaic of random stuff that's on my computer. The simplicity is gone and things are hard to find. You also get Cortana, which is, from what I can tell, an AI that is useless if you know how to use Google. And since you are posting on Gigarocket, I assume you know how to use Google.

I think some of this is due to poor market research on Microsoft's part. Aside from my own unfavorable experience with it, someone I dated who worked in Microsoft's marketing research department told me that people there sometimes get lazy and fudge numbers to make new products look like a good idea. I'm not sure exactly what they would get out of this--maybe it looks good to their superiors if they push something through? Take that anecdote as you will.

I would stick with Windows 7 for as long as possible.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
carsssson said:
I would stick with Windows 7 for as long as possible.

Good to read this @carsssson as this is where I still am. If I change my Windows, I'l lose my very old subscription with MS Office 2016 straight away, just for beginners. There's the total upheaval with re-programming my WiFi. My ISP has just changed the WiFi devices and programs, I wouldn't have the foggiest where to start to reinstall it again. We're into Covid 19 and finding someone to help would be a disaster. Some of my software won't work on Windows 10. And I still haven't forgotten how Microsoft around 2015 or thereabouts tried to force me to upgrade through its sneaky updates. I love File Manager and Control Panel. I didn't like Windows 8.1 "touch" screen layout, but if I'm forced at some or other time to change from Windows 7, that would probably be my Plan B, as I still get the option of getting to File Manager.