WordPress force Devs to use customizer only from October 2015.

GigaBot

Administrator
The whole WordPress developer community is in a state of emergency. From October this year only WP Themes that use ONLY Customizer will be excepted in WordPress.org repository. It means that all WP Themes that use some other Options Frameworks wont be excepted. Maybe this doesn't mean much to someone who's not developing WP Themes, but this is one of the bigger decisions in WordPress history and there are many, many discussions all over the Internet about that.

It affects all WP users too, because Theme Options were one of those things that oftenly made People to use some theme or not. Especially premium ThemeForest Themes are affected, almost none of them used Customizer for the Theme Options. Almost 70% of all themes that right now are hosted at WordPress.org use some other Options Panels or Frameworks then Customizer. And all of their developers must completely change themes codes if they don't want to be removed from WordPress.org.

But there are some GREAT News! I just saw that Redux, one of the best, and my favorite Options Framework are working on solution How to move all of their Advanced Options to WP Customizer and it looks amazing!

You van check out DEMO.

Great Work Redux guys!!!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I never knew that, I build roughly 1 - 3 Wordpress powered websites per month for clients at work and I generally get themes from Themeforest.

Thanks for the info!

Anywhere you could point me for clarification on the matter?

GigaBot

Administrator
DJB said:
I never knew that, I build roughly 1 - 3 Wordpress powered websites per month for clients at work and I generally get themes from Themeforest.

Thanks for the info!

Anywhere you could point me for clarification on the matter?

Well there is two posts from WP Tavern that can point to some of debates about that matter ... but there is a lot of other posts and discussions too.

http://wptavern.com/wordpress-org-n...-to-use-the-customizer-to-build-theme-options

http://wptavern.com/themekrafts-difficult-experience-switching-to-the-customizer

I am experiencing some difficulties too, because as a WordPress developer who is still trying to find it's own place in such a huge market and competition ...just don't know which "road to choose" ...because I like Theme Options frameworks, it makes things easier to potential users of my WP Themes to adjust it and prepare it quick, if I let them have many options, some of them are advanced ones, but now I feel I must limit users experience with WP Customizer.

On the other hand this is WordPress official decision and if I want to be WordPress developer, I must follow their standards, I can't expect that they will follow me?!ha...

Tony1Faze

This really is not such a bad thing... look at it this way...

You can tell your clients " Look what I did for you so that you can edit things on your own! You do not need to wait for me, just do it!"

This will free up a lot of man hours for you to dedicate more time to new clients rather than dealing with unneeded maintenance.

( Speaking as someone that does not charge monthly, yet builds a site for a client and leaves the rest to them)

I see this as a good thing for a business standpoint... or am I not seeing this the same? Your thoughts?

GigaBot

Administrator
Tony1Faze said:
This really is not such a bad thing... look at it this way...

You can tell your clients " Look what I did for you so that you can edit things on your own! You do not need to wait for me, just do it!"

This will free up a lot of man hours for you to dedicate more time to new clients rather than dealing with unneeded maintenance.

( Speaking as someone that does not charge monthly, yet builds a site for a client and leaves the rest to them)

I see this as a good thing for a business standpoint... or am I not seeing this the same? Your thoughts?

I am not complaining or something but for me as a developer, I feel like I am limited and pushed a step backword ...instead of being pushed forward. Developers now practically have to choose between WordPress.org and Other Theme directories and markets like Theme Forest, Envato ...otherwise I'll have to create two different versions of Themes ...my work will be doubled!
But Redux guys made me really happy with their substitute for their Options Framework!

Tony1Faze

Or you can do like all of the lazy people out there...HAHAHAA

Grab a theme for free... add on the builders... and charge 500 more!... hahaha

ya I am being sarcastic here!

I know what you mean... but hey... if that is what they choose to do and lead with what can we do?

Thanks for the heads up!

GigaBot

Administrator
Tony1Faze said:
Or you can do like all of the lazy people out there...HAHAHAA

Grab a theme for free... add on the builders... and charge 500 more!... hahaha

ya I am being sarcastic here!

I know what you mean... but hey... if that is what they choose to do and lead with what can we do?

Thanks for the heads up!

Nothing this is just a sort of chiter chater discussion,ha ...
If I choose to be a WordPress developer, then WordPres standards are my own standards no matter what I think. I just want to believe that this decision is made out of wish to make standards much firm and clearer, but if this is some sort of marketing or business decision that should direct People to use WP Customizer instead of Other Options Frameworks (so far only 20-25% of themes used Customizer), then maybe it is not so good, I don't know.

Tony1Faze

As a developer... I choose to NOT have the forced options....
Simply because I would rather build the site myself and use my skills that I have worked on for the past 12 years!

However... if there is nothing I can do but to suck it up and go with the flow.. then I guess i am forced to do just that.

Like it? No... Deal with it? I have too...

I would rather you put a blank notepad in front of me... tell me your ideas... and let me build it. However, that is not the world we live in anymore... We have to adapt. and honestly? as a whole? it is better for the customers we build for... simply because there are so many crooks out there that take advantage of ignorance... Look at it as Wordpress is looking out for the community as a whole, the fakes and scamers will get weeded out.

That is just my thoughts on it.

It will just make us all rise to a newer level and leave the scamers out in the shadows. Use this as an oppertunity to build your talents and not discourage you from being something greater !

GigaBot

Administrator
Tony1Faze said:
As a developer... I choose to NOT have the forced options....
Simply because I would rather build the site myself and use my skills that I have worked on for the past 12 years!

However... if there is nothing I can do but to suck it up and go with the flow.. then I guess i am forced to do just that.

Like it? No... Deal with it? I have too...

I would rather you put a blank notepad in front of me... tell me your ideas... and let me build it. However, that is not the world we live in anymore... We have to adapt. and honestly? as a whole? it is better for the customers we build for... simply because there are so many crooks out there that take advantage of ignorance... Look at it as Wordpress is looking out for the community as a whole, the fakes and scamers will get weeded out.

That is just my thoughts on it.

It will just make us all rise to a newer level and leave the scamers out in the shadows. Use this as an oppertunity to build your talents and not discourage you from being something greater !

I agree with you mostly, but if you are a developer you don't need any options and you can ignore it and adjust everything as you wish directly within files. But Theme Options are made for non developing users.
And then again ... if anyone wants to run more demanding Website, he will hire someone to adjust it anyway. So this is not a matter that is crucial, codes and WP core are crucial ...I just got a feeling that I'm limited and it's not nice feeling. I am also concern because I'm a huge fun of WordPress also, that someone might trying to spoil things about WordPress or that there are some games playing around that matter. That's all.

Genesis

Administrator
Tony1Faze said:
If someone has a large budget... then they want something custom.. not based on wordpress...:)
Not necessarily dude .... there are some large Fortune 500 corporations who are using WordPress - here are a few of them :p

Capture.png

GigaBot

Administrator
Genesis said:
Tony1Faze said:
If someone has a large budget... then they want something custom.. not based on wordpress...:)
Not necessarily dude .... there are some large Fortune 500 corporations who are using WordPress - here are a few of them :p

Capture.png

Just like about 35% of all Websites in the world ...