Xampplite Security?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I've always been cautious with installations like Xampplite, not using them, as didn't think I really needed to, but have just installed Xampplite today, not knowing that I was going to do it. I'm doing a WordPress course and worked my way through a tutorial of how to install WordPress on my computer. One can do it at the URL below:
https://serverpress.com/

Next thing I know I had Xampplite installed on my computer.

What security precautions should I be taking other than the usual ones? How more vulnerable am I wilth Xampplite than without it? I've got Kaspersky anti-virus.

Haven't played with Xampplite yet, but its just a smaller version on Xampp. I have used Xampp and actually like it to run test sites from my computer. What I can tell you is there are no passwords set for admin or root. But ones you have figured out how to set them, its very secure. Its as secure as any web server.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I'm running it through a desktop server and looks as though I can shut off everything after use, which is what I did last night. You also turn off the Apache and mySQL servers. I'm just doing it by instinct. I googled what one should be doing but haven't found anything, so it must be safe. I hope. :unknown:

I kill both mysql and apache every time. Once they are off, thats it. click exit. But when its running and if you make a connection to the internet through it, thats when you can have a security issue if you haven't set passwords.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Aha! GREAT! Thanks for confirming Strokerace. Have done it twice now and it's as easy to kill them as to get them up - effortless. I really like this DesktopServer!

I use the full version to test my sites. I like the fact you can run it without an internet connection. As long as your site doesn't need it.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I'm such a novice, I probably haven't been running it with an internet connection either. It's nice though. I've always been thinking about having it, and never took the final jump, and then landed at xampplite without even knowing I was on my way. It's not as intrusive as I'd thought it would be.