You have got to see this ...

smalpierre

This is hands down the sexiest laptop I've ever seen in my LIFE!!!

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade-pro

Might be a little shy on HDD space, but oh the drools!!! I don't even play video games - but I can think of a million uses for that switchblade touchscreen and I think I'm wearing the hinge out on my laptop tilting it down so I can see the keyboard sometimes. They also have real mechanical keyboards, and a wired keyboard with membrane keypad and the switchblade display.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty damn awesome. One major drawback though. UAE is not on the shipping list. Totally bowled over by its specifications, particularly for colour and sound. Obviously made for Gamers. :good:

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
NOPE! It's a gaming laptop. Probably awesome for movies, creating Websites, working with graphics. Specifications are geared for gaming and working: Awesome Video card, stereo and surround sound. Speed has to be pretty amazing. I'd be interested but unfortunately maybe a little steep in price, and it does not ship to the UAE.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...s2vtxMhu10WW25g123NTwcw&bvm=bv.94911696,d.d24

AHA! It is available in the UAE. Specs are slightly different though. 8GB instead of 16GB memory. Also Geforce video is 2GB less than the US one. And MUCH more expensive - UAE price is 2722 USD (US price is 2299 USD plus 8GB more memory and 2GB more graphics card). Wow, this is HUGE cheating. I could fly to the US for the difference in price and value. :dodgy:
http://www.alshop.com/razer-blade-pro-17-gaming-laptop.html

Yozora

@"Genesis" Maybe look up US package forwarding services. I've used one for Japan, tenso.com, and they gave me a Japanese shipping address, and then sent the package to me once it arrived. Any US-based ones are probably similar. It might be a little pricey, so they're good for things you really want, but can't get otherwise.

smalpierre

Hyper Threading 3.6GHz. The hyper threading splits each core into two virtual cores - not 100% like having 8 hardware cores, but pretty close.

Then there's things they don't spec like L2 and L3 cache which it does have, and a lot of it. Historically Intel processors have outperformed "higher spec'd" amd processors by a long shot. I'm not sure if that's still true, or if it's as big of a gap as it used to be, but the cache is one way Intel made their processors running way slower clock speeds blow away the "faster" AMD units. Also 16GB of DDR3 is plenty for most gamers, especially on a laptop - and if it isn't enough spend the jack and upgrade it.

Then there's the fact that it has a bad to the bone network interface, a backlit keyboard - which if it's like their other units is top notch, there's no stupid touchpad dead center under the space bar where your hands want to rest, the keyboard is macro-programmable, and it's got the switchblade.

So use it to surf the net if you want, but you might as well be using my crappy 6 year old laptop that's never had a single upgrade.

@"Genesis" I thought you were a south african! Why are you in the UAE? One of the locations of the company I've been working for is in Dubai. I'll never go there, I don't care how wealthy the nation is. I could probably be thrown in jail for life just for words I've said - words I didn't even speak there. Ideas in my head ... You couldn't pay me enough to get on that plane. I'd risk it to see the monster white sharks in SA though!

Are there import restrictions on encryption there? Do we have export restrictions? Might have something to do with availability. A forwarder might work, but they'll be looking at it in customs and might charge you some kind of import tax.

I will have to concede though, that I haven't been geeking out on hardware for a long time. I don't really care as long as it does what I want. I don't game, so I don't really NEED to know how top of the line hardware stacks up against the other brand anymore. I used to because I ran servers on consumer grade hardware back when hardware was really expensive. Even then I learned the hard way that it's not all about numbers and specs.

I saw a 450mhz powerPC RISC with far superior subsystems (SCSI instead of IDE, better RAM but the same quantity ...) blow the DOORS off of a p4 800mhz machine. At the same time - comparing x86 hardware, the intel 600mhz p4 slayed the 800mhz Athlon, even though it was running a SLOWER memory bus, mostly because of on die cache ... and at the same time I saw a SPARC 400mhz with half the memory run them ALL into the dirt shamefully when you're talking about a database server with a ton of concurrent connections.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Yozora said:
@"Genesis" Maybe look up US package forwarding services. I've used one for Japan, tenso.com, and they gave me a Japanese shipping address, and then sent the package to me once it arrived. Any US-based ones are probably similar. It might be a little pricey, so they're good for things you really want, but can't get otherwise.
Thanks Yozora. Great idea! :good:

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Yozora said:

smalpierre said:
@"Genesis" I thought you were a south african! Why are you in the UAE? One of the locations of the company I've been working for is in Dubai. I'll never go there, I don't care how wealthy the nation is. I could probably be thrown in jail for life just for words I've said - words I didn't even speak there. Ideas in my head ... You couldn't pay me enough to get on that plane. I'd risk it to see the monster white sharks in SA though!
Haha .... I'm a South African who emigrated to Canada and am living in the UAE. My family lives in South Africa, so I'm probably more South African than Canadian in my roots. I do love Canada however and what it stands for so am a proud Canadian living abroad. You'd love the surfs in South Africa. Plenty of sharks on the Eastern side where the Indian Ocean is and very challenging waves. Not easy to dive there. Best part of the beaches however for what you like to do is Mozambique. There are some awesome islands and those who love diving usually like to visit those areas.

smalpierre said:
Are there import restrictions on encryption there? Do we have export restrictions? Might have something to do with availability. A forwarder might work, but they'll be looking at it in customs and might charge you some kind of import tax.
I'm sure there is a way of doing it, I'm just a bit lazy to sort that out. The UAE by the way is one of the easiest countries to import things into. It's just the country where one imports from where the problem lies. If I should return to Canada I'll have to give up my international purchases as customs regulations are tough and duties high. There are common sense limitations in UAE for mail ordering things, usually after X dollar there is duty payable but I rarely get there. They also check bulk items. I.e. if you get six and maybe even 12 of something, it's more or less OK, but more than that, they ask you to come in and explain. In the UAE there are long working hours. Shopping malls are open from 10 to 10. Some of the shops are open from 9:00 to 11:00. Seven days a week with slightly shorter hours on Fridays: 9:00 to 12:00 and 4:00 to 11:00. Feels strange when I'm in Europe or the UK and shops close so early. UAE is a shopping Mecca. I'm sure if I really looked properly I'll find someone who could get the exact laptop for me.
smalpierre said:
I will have to concede though, that I haven't been geeking out on hardware for a long time. I don't really care as long as it does what I want. I don't game, so I don't really NEED to know how top of the line hardware stacks up against the other brand anymore. I used to because I ran servers on consumer grade hardware back when hardware was really expensive. Even then I learned the hard way that it's not all about numbers and specs.
I've always owned no-brand computers. The kind that is assembled from preferred parts and specs. At a lower price. They seem to have become a dying breed however. Last upgrade was a Dell, my first brand computer ever. Kind'a boring and I miss my GeForce graphics card. Next time I'm going back to something assembled again. Maybe I'll try it myself. Something super powerful with super surround sound, best colours ever. I really like my desktops. But am acquiring a taste for laptops too, particularly lightweight laptops that are genuinely portable. I still have to enter the world of smart phones. Am being teased about that at work when my very old and trusted Nokia is noticed :p Now this is a real solid phone - battery lasts for a week, it's safe and secure, no blue tooth, solid ring, made of genuine materials. This is the exact model and color phone I have - a real phone - the number pad is awesome:

Nokia-1100.gif

smalpierre said:
I saw a 450mhz powerPC RISC with far superior subsystems (SCSI instead of IDE, better RAM but the same quantity ...) blow the DOORS off of a p4 800mhz machine. At the same time - comparing x86 hardware, the intel 600mhz p4 slayed the 800mhz Athlon, even though it was running a SLOWER memory bus, mostly because of on die cache ... and at the same time I saw a SPARC 400mhz with half the memory run them ALL into the dirt shamefully when you're talking about a database server with a ton of concurrent connections.
:shock: That sounds like mega hardware ... a little over the top of my head, but I'm learning. What's your desktop dream machine?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
iGdesigner said:
@"Genesis" It is still a killer PC for gaming and working with video editing.
Not sure what you mean iG. Thought it was clear that I was bowled over by it. Pretty much what I said as well. :unknown:

GigaGreg

Staff member
I know, but I couldn't reply to it faster as you made a big post :)

@topic

I have always liked the Razer Gaming Gear, but I think that is not the best on the market.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
iGdesigner said:
I have always liked the Razer Gaming Gear, but I think that is not the best on the market.
Can imagine there must be some really great ones in the UK, which ones do you think are better than Razer?

GigaGreg

Staff member
Personally I think that MSI has the best offer for Gamers. The second is Alienware, but their configurations are not the best though.

bruno

I think ROG ASUS .

And for the razer blade pro , cool laptop great specs , but if you are going to video edit or use it as work or design computer , i dont think it will work as good as a desktop . Not in a way of performance or anything just based on usage .
Limitations , small screen only 17" , only 1 monitor . i know you can have more monitors connected to laptop but what is the point of a laptop then .
I think , atleast i use it more or less for fun and to take with me when i leave the house .
I wouldent recommend anyone gaming on a laptop tho .
My asus N73 is pretty neat and runs games ok , i used it in school last year , cant say how much i missed my desktop to work on .

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
bruno said:
My asus N73 is pretty neat and runs games ok , i used it in school last year , cant say how much i missed my desktop to work on .
Glad there are still people around who appreciate desktops. When I was browsing around tech shops today noticed how few desktops there were.

iGdesigner said:
Personally I think that MSI has the best offer for Gamers. The second is Alienware, but their configurations are not the best though.

Yes, MSI. they are great. I had an MSI board and vid card. It was the best system I had. Then I had a flood in my basement apart and it too out the board. I was upset. I burn out ASUS, Arock and AMD boards quicker then any other boards.

GigaGreg

Staff member
They also have expensive pre-build laptops for gaming which are better than Alienware. I checked myself yesterday which is quite impressive in my opinion about how good the laptops are.

Even I have tried to build up a similar PC to MSI laptops myself, still expensive using their parts for a PC.

iGdesigner said:
They also have expensive pre-build laptops for gaming which are better than Alienware. I checked myself yesterday which is quite impressive in my opinion about how good the laptops are.

Even I have tried to build up a similar PC to MSI laptops myself, still expensive using their parts for a PC.

The last laptop I tried to build to the specs of my laptop from 2004 was going to cost $5000. I don't game and it wasn't a gaming laptop.

smalpierre

Genesis said:
Yozora said:

smalpierre said:
Haha .... I'm a South African who emigrated to Canada and am living in the UAE. My family lives in South Africa, so I'm probably more South African than Canadian in my roots. I do love Canada however and what it stands for so am a proud Canadian living abroad. You'd love the surfs in South Africa. Plenty of sharks on the Eastern side where the Indian Ocean is and very challenging waves. Not easy to dive there. Best part of the beaches however for what you like to do is Mozambique. There are some awesome islands and those who love diving usually like to visit those areas.

smalpierre said:
I'm sure there is a way of doing it, I'm just a bit lazy to sort that out. The UAE by the way is one of the easiest countries to import things into. It's just the country where one imports from where the problem lies. If I should return to Canada I'll have to give up my international purchases as customs regulations are tough and duties high. There are common sense limitations in UAE for mail ordering things, usually after X dollar there is duty payable but I rarely get there. They also check bulk items. I.e. if you get six and maybe even 12 of something, it's more or less OK, but more than that, they ask you to come in and explain. In the UAE there are long working hours. Shopping malls are open from 10 to 10. Some of the shops are open from 9:00 to 11:00. Seven days a week with slightly shorter hours on Fridays: 9:00 to 12:00 and 4:00 to 11:00. Feels strange when I'm in Europe or the UK and shops close so early. UAE is a shopping Mecca. I'm sure if I really looked properly I'll find someone who could get the exact laptop for me.
smalpierre said:
I've always owned no-brand computers. The kind that is assembled from preferred parts and specs. At a lower price. They seem to have become a dying breed however. Last upgrade was a Dell, my first brand computer ever. Kind'a boring and I miss my GeForce graphics card. Next time I'm going back to something assembled again. Maybe I'll try it myself. Something super powerful with super surround sound, best colours ever. I really like my desktops. But am acquiring a taste for laptops too, particularly lightweight laptops that are genuinely portable. I still have to enter the world of smart phones. Am being teased about that at work when my very old and trusted Nokia is noticed :p Now this is a real solid phone - battery lasts for a week, it's safe and secure, no blue tooth, solid ring, made of genuine materials. This is the exact model and color phone I have - a real phone - the number pad is awesome:

Nokia-1100.gif

smalpierre said:
:shock: That sounds like mega hardware ... a little over the top of my head, but I'm learning. What's your desktop dream machine?

Back in 2000 they were mega machines :D Now they would hardly run a browser. the SPARC is a Sun 64 bit workstation / small server class machine. They ROCKED!

My dream machine? Here's something kind of up my alley:

SuperMicro X9DR7-TF+-O motherboard

Two Intel Xeon E5-2697v2 processors with liquid cooled heat sinks

1.5TB ECC DDR3 1866mHz RAM

4 6TB Seagate Barracudas on the 3gb/s ports RAID 5
2 2TB Seagate Barracudas on the 6gb/s ports RAID 0

2 XFX Radeon R9 295X2 8GB with Liquid Cooling

Two HUGE top of the line monitors, that keyboard with switchblade controller, and a really good laser mouse.

Or something along those lines ...

strokerace said:
iGdesigner said:

The last laptop I tried to build to the specs of my laptop from 2004 was going to cost $5000. I don't game and it wasn't a gaming laptop.

Laptops are pretty expensive. I'm not sure what part of the world you're from, but $5k gets you the best money can buy in a lappy around here. The desktop I just spec'd would be approaching $10k I'm sure - over 10k with monitors, and I didn't even spec the sound subsystem ...