You've just won a million bucks. What is the first thing you do?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
So let's say you've just won a million bucks on the local sweepstakes. What's the first thing you do? Apart from going crazy with happiness of course. But once all of that and the celebrations have settled down?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Buy a family sized detached house and start a family. Expand Gigarank and Sitebee.

Buy my own cottage in the middle of nowhere so I can get out of this horrid house, after that just sit back and enjoy some choice tobacco in a favoured pipe, heaven. :friends:

jaran

Going to trip with Taylor Swift at Karibian Islands. This is what the damn think I have right now. LOL

dxverm

I build a house with a house on top of a bunker loaded with enough food and weapons and security to last out the apocalypse lol

seliol

dxverm said:
I build a house with a house on top of a bunker loaded with enough food and weapons and security to last out the apocalypse lol
Make sure to give us the address :angel:

Sent from my XTab970 using a squirrel

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
seliol said:
dxverm said:
Make sure to give us the address :angel:

Sent from my XTab970 using a squirrel
Not for me. It will definitely be too crowded. :p

asexual synergy

I'd invest it in buying a coffee franchise (Dutch Bro's), I'd buy some land and build an RV Park or a little "Tiny Houses" community and start a non-profit charity organization for a cause that's near and dear to my heart.

The first thing would be to put almost all of it into some safe, simple investment and then take about a year to figure out what all I would do with it. I would not trust my first instincts - although often thoughtful and cautious, I still have an impulsive streak that could prove dangerous at a time like that.

z3r0d4t4

Donate 1/2 of the proceeds to charity, disburse 1/4 to appease the immediate family members and with the remaining 250,000...go rent-free and purchase a house for under 85,000 (you can get some very nice houses out here for under 100,000), and pay all of the closing costs (round up to 90,000). Furnishings and property adjustments (50,000). Set aside a lump sum to pay property tax and cover unexpected maintenance costs for the next several years in savings (25,000 for 5 years at maximum). Trade-in my current vehicle for a fuel-friendly SUV, upgrade insurance premium, etc (~55,000)

I think you get the general idea. If anybody here ends up winning the sweepstakes in the future...please be responsible with your money. Real property is a great investment in the future with more weight in capital than whatever market investment options are available through your bank.

(Some people might be thinking, "why donate the money to charity?" It might seem a little greedy but charitable donations are a tax deductible expense (at least here in the United States). A charitable donation of 500,000 is sure to put you on someone's map...not to mention, once again, the expense is tax deductible. :)

Snowflake

I would use it to pay for my studies. I've always dreamed of going to college in the UK or the US. So, I'd use the money for that, because life in another country is expensive. And the rest I'd give it to my parents because they paid for a lot while I was growing up.

Gregoric

At the moment, I'd split it into two equal parts. First one would be invested (some gold or house(s)) and the second half would be spend on a trip to South America ;) Making a journey all over the countries there is my dream and life is too short not to fulfill one's dreams, right? ;D