Help needed with Website (forum) migration

Spelunca

Alright I reuplaoded it! as you can see I put it in public_html and it is still compressed.

I'll link you to the screen shot because it's a bit big and cumbersome. Here

Hopefully this solves the issue?

Spelunca

out of curiosity is there an estimate as to when the move will be done? There's no real rush I just wondered if I could have one to give to my forum members.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on un4saken Spelunca. I'll ask the owner if he may be able to help as well.

Spelunca

Okay well once again there's no real rush...I was just wondering if it was possible to have it up by the weekend....that way I can have some time to work on it before opening it up again. (Thanks for doing this btw)

Spelunca

Actually never mind I managed to get everything moved. It's been taking a long time to load but I've read that mybb forums can take up to 24 hours to fully move so I'm not too concerned..

If it's alright can we leave this support thread open for another day until I make sure everything's running smoothly?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
No probs Spelunca, we leave it open as long as you want to.

How did you move your Forum?

Spelunca

Alright awesome!

I watch the tutorials more closely and used the method of just moving the sql database and public_html and then I changed my config and settings files. o3o I realized it wasn't as daunting as I thought it was, because before I was afraid I'd mess something up. xP

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Spelunca said:
Alright awesome!

I watch the tutorials more closely and used the method of just moving the sql database and public_html and then I changed my config and settings files. o3o I realized it wasn't as daunting as I thought it was, because before I was afraid I'd mess something up. xP
Exactly the way I did it as well when I moved my WordPress Website. Imported the .sql database through phpMyAdmin. Loaded a fresh up to date copy of WordPress together with fresh theme and plug-ins. Glad you got it sorted out, so at least you learned something new as well.

Spelunca

Okay everything is running smoothly! It was running really slow because I forgot to change the site url in my admin cp..so basically it was trying to redirect to the old site all the time @__@..

^ yeah definitely, I'm glad to figured out how to do it because now I have another skill on my belt. xP

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Spelunca said:
Okay everything is running smoothly! It was running really slow because I forgot to change the site url in my admin cp..so basically it was trying to redirect to the old site all the time @__@..

^ yeah definitely, I'm glad to figured out how to do it because now I have another skill on my belt. xP
Am happy and relieved it worked out for you Spelunca. The learning curve never stops however. Did you check up on security controls? Suggest you check out stopforumspam.com for myBB Mods.
http://mods.mybb.com/view/stopforumspam-com-for-mybb

Also a good trick is to create a question that people have to answer at registration in addition to the captcha. Like something that is unique to people who join your community.

http://community.mybb.com/post-918171.html

Finally here are some general anti-spam guidelines for mybb:
http://mybbgroup.com/mybb-spam-prevention-guide-to-stop-mybb-forum-spam/