Long Time in the FREE World

windwalker

I am an old guy that got started back before there was an internet.
I used to host a Wildcat bulletin Board.

I have used many free webhosting services over the years. I have seen them come and have seen them go.
I have even paid for hosting that was even worse than some free hosting I have used.

Free hosting is what it is. Free Hosting, but even at that, nothing comes without a price or effort of some kind.
Here we make posts, and that is not a bad thing though it is difficult for me to get that much free time, I have to simply make time.

I will take the risk that the effort will be worth while.

Others I have hosted with have been ok, all having their good and bad aspects.

I am not going to post reviews, because I believe that all that provide a service are good in some way. Some have shortcomings in support areas, but no one is perfect.

I am patient and wait to see if problems can be corrected. If not I move on. That is what I am doing here. Preparing to move on.

I have been with a company for about a year and was ready to move up to a VPS level with them. Unfortunately, they made some drastic changes and have not been able to correct those problems for almost three weeks.
It is time for me to cut my losses and hopefully be able to at least salvage my files so I can rebuild without having to do so from scratch.

Even something good can go bad. But hopefully they will get their problems fixed eventually and get back in the flow. I wil lnot add to their current problems by stating their name and adding to the problems. I believe that everyone should judge for themselves what is good and what is bad, since those are both relative terms.

Thanks for listening and I hope that everyone has a wonderful day.

GigaGreg

Staff member
That was nice to read. I agree that some free hostings has better deals than paid ones and offer better features. I have been used a lot of free and paid hosts untill I accidently found Gigarank.

windwalker

iGdesigner said:
That was nice to read. I agree that some free hostings has better deals than paid ones and offer better features. I have been used a lot of free and paid hosts untill I accidently found Gigarank.

Thanks iG.

I have heard so many times from free hosts, "What did you expect for free ?".

My response has always been, "You guys ever hear"of (Open Source) " ?

Lots of things are free, and to keep then free takes something from the users.

Open Source for example. many Open Source Developers write fantastic code for plug ins for almost any thing you could ever want to do.
To keep the see people writing, we the end user need to do several thing. First we need to send our appreciation. We also need to donate if we can when we can. They are not doing it for money or they would be doing it somewhere else, but the money helps and it is a great incentive to keep them doing these great extensions.

We need to also understand that every piece of software written is gonna start out with bugs of some kind for some situation.
Instead of griping about the bugs, we should be providing them with as much detailed information as possible about the bug including how it can be recreated and under what conditions. That helps to save them many hours of testing to fix what could be a very minor fix. Or it could help to resolve the location of an occurrence which is more than a minor fix, but providing detail information may help bring the fix into quick deployment.

Everything that we do to help an Open Source product duct that we like and often have asked for, we become part of the team.

We are happy and the Dev is happy and Devs like to be appreciated just like the rest of us
I hope everyone will remember one thing. Nothing will upset any of us any more than people being ungrateful to us for what we do.

Often we forget that when people retrying to help us, even when they do not have to, being ungrateful is a quick way to get them to stop.

Many of us like our Organization can not yet afford much in the way of paid internet services. Until we can raise enough funds to go to a VPS service, then we need to work to help those trying to help us and try not to sound ungrateful.

Any way, I think maybe I got my main ideas in here.

Sheesh what a rant !!!!!

LOL if the pint system was by the word, I could be on a roll here...haha

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
windwalker said:
Sheesh what a rant !!!!!

True. Reminds me of that song "I got passion ..... " think it was Rod Steward.

I feel strongly about this too and find if I write about it I go exactly in the same "rant" direction. I get quite upset when people act like sheep by slavishly following Google, Microsoft, Adobe, Facebook .... etc to all of our detriment. As that makes those large corporations so very powerful to the extent they make rules that can impact our freedom of movement on the Internet. They actually make it their business to get as much information about us as they can. They also cash in so much that for me it is completely wrong. All of those license charges by Microsoft for example, something just feels so completely greedy about that. Also can't understand why there aren't competitors? Almost the exact same thing happening with the banks, when they in cahoots with the government at the end of the nineties allowed banks to mingle their operations with real estate properties and investments, to the extent that they are flogging their own products to their customers, even when they know that they aren't necessarily good for their customers, and growing so HUGE that one can't even talk to a decision maker these days, one is restricted to a call agent. Something is seriously wrong with this system. Worse though for me is people aren't resisting it either. Like sheep they just seem to do what every one else is doing so much so that these corporations have grown so big, it is impossible for companies to compete with them. I'm hoping for people to stand up to this eventually. Been waiting for a darn long time though.

windwalker

Genesis said:
windwalker said:
Sheesh what a rant !!!!!

True. Reminds me of that song "I got passion ..... " think it was Rod Steward.

I feel strongly about this too and find if I write about it I go exactly in the same "rant" direction. I get quite upset when people act like sheep by slavishly following Google, Microsoft, Adobe, Facebook .... etc to all of our detriment. As that makes those large corporations so very powerful to the extent they make rules that can impact our freedom of movement on the Internet. They actually make it their business to get as much information about us as they can. They also cash in so much that for me it is completely wrong. All of those license charges by Microsoft for example, something just feels so completely greedy about that. Also can't understand why there aren't competitors? Almost the exact same thing happening with the banks, when they in cahoots with the government at the end of the nineties allowed banks to mingle their operations with real estate properties and investments, to the extent that they are flogging their own products to their customers, even when they know that they aren't necessarily good for their customers, and growing so HUGE that one can't even talk to a decision maker these days, one is restricted to a call agent. Something is seriously wrong with this system. Worse though for me is people aren't resisting it either. Like sheep they just seem to do what every one else is doing so much so that these corporations have grown so big, it is impossible for companies to compete with them. I'm hoping for people to stand up to this eventually. Been waiting for a darn long time though.

Genesis, they won't stand up. They are all waiting for someone else to stand up.

I have been involved in Civil Rights issues for 42 years.
They have been many times when people called me and I have traveled at my own expense and even in the early days by my thumb.
I would spend sometimes weeks with them to help resolve their problems and hopefully teach them how to deal with those issues, only to have the call me again in a year with the very same issues they should now be able to deal with on their own.

I am only too aware that all countries do not have the ability to defend their rights like the citizens of the US do. The problem is that we don't. We are indeed "Sheeple".

We could stop Facebook and Microsoft as well as the banks and everyone else. Not to mention the petroleum corporation that rob us at the pumps. All we have to do is DON'T DO BUSINESS with them.

There are alternatives. To all of those things.

I I was a member of care.com before it became care2.com . It was originally full of folks working hard to make a difference.
Then it became a dating site and a place to exchange recipes. I saw and exodus of hard working life long workers who had devoted their lives to helping bring positive change.

One day, I am going to build a site dedicated to just that.. Giving a voice to those who need to be heard and not just those who WANT to be heard.

There is nothing we can not fix. IF we really Want to Fix it and we Really Try to find a way to fix it.

I am 60 years old and I have heard all my life, "You can't fight city hall!".
My response always is the same, "Why fight them? They work for you,just fire em !".

OK..I ma getting all heat under the collar here. We could get on a tangent real easy ya know..HAHA

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
windwalker said:
One day, I am going to build a site dedicated to just that.. Giving a voice to those who need to be heard and not just those who WANT to be heard.
When you do, please let me know. There has to be many of us.

windwalker said:
There is nothing we can not fix. IF we really Want to Fix it and we Really Try to find a way to fix it.

My response always is the same, "Why fight them? They work for you,just fire em !".

OK..I ma getting all heat under the collar here. We could get on a tangent real easy ya know..HAHA
It's made my day though. And you're right. We don't have to use Google. I've got to find a way too not to use Adobe Flash or Adobe Reader. And learn Linux so I can get away from Microsoft windows.

windwalker

Genesis said:
windwalker said:

windwalker said:

It's made my day though. And you're right. We don't have to use Google. I've got to find a way too not to use Adobe Flash or Adobe Reader. And learn Linux so I can get away from Microsoft windows.

I am part way there.
I don't use google, we us Good Search and for every action performed, we get a donation from Good Search as well as all other parts of their program.

http://www.goodsearch.com/nonprofit/first-nations-outreach-project.aspx

It may not be the most ideal answer, but we get a check at the end of the year to help our non profit organization. At least they are giving something back.

GigaGreg

Staff member
I am always going for open source applications etc. I agree with you two. Recently I have stopped using google chrome as an example, few years earlier I used different search engine thab google, thanks for sharing that search engine, I will try to use it on daily basis.

windwalker

iGdesigner said:
I am always going for open source applications etc. I agree with you two. Recently I have stopped using google chrome as an example, few years earlier I used different search engine thab google, thanks for sharing that search engine, I will try to use it on daily basis.

Thank you iG, and even if you don't choose our First nations Outreach Project as your charity, thank you for helping someone do some good !!

windwalker

Genesis said:
windwalker said:

I am looking for a place with the resources to support a rather good size group of people and the Open Source software that will work for a site like that. As soon as I find it and I think I will very soon, I will let you know. It will take a good many people to handle a site like that as you already know. It will take several to get it moving properly, but I think that it would be worth it.

I am playing with a Title that would be fitting the entire world and every person in the world. it is , the most fundamental of all human rights. And while it is supposed to be guaranteed to Americans, that is not always true. But it is a right that is inherent to the nature of all mankind. I believe that alone will draw the people needed to maintain such a site.

With Respect,

Jim

DonMax

windwalker said:
I am an old guy that got started back before there was an internet.
I used to host a Wildcat bulletin Board.

I have used many free webhosting services over the years. I have seen them come and have seen them go.
I have even paid for hosting that was even worse than some free hosting I have used.

Free hosting is what it is. Free Hosting, but even at that, nothing comes without a price or effort of some kind.
Here we make posts, and that is not a bad thing though it is difficult for me to get that much free time, I have to simply make time.

I will take the risk that the effort will be worth while.

Others I have hosted with have been ok, all having their good and bad aspects.

I am not going to post reviews, because I believe that all that provide a service are good in some way. Some have shortcomings in support areas, but no one is perfect.

I am patient and wait to see if problems can be corrected. If not I move on. That is what I am doing here. Preparing to move on.

I have been with a company for about a year and was ready to move up to a VPS level with them. Unfortunately, they made some drastic changes and have not been able to correct those problems for almost three weeks.
It is time for me to cut my losses and hopefully be able to at least salvage my files so I can rebuild without having to do so from scratch.

Even something good can go bad. But hopefully they will get their problems fixed eventually and get back in the flow. I wil lnot add to their current problems by stating their name and adding to the problems. I believe that everyone should judge for themselves what is good and what is bad, since those are both relative terms.

Thanks for listening and I hope that everyone has a wonderful day.

I have read your comment and I have had some of your problems that lead me to try this free hosting site. This will be my first time using a free hosting site. I hope this will work for me and you. I would like to start a online business so I can help my wife and I get out of debt.

Thanks for you sharing comment and I do hope you have wonderful day.

windwalker

I have read your comment and I have had some of your problems that lead me to try this free hosting site. This will be my first time using a free hosting site. I hope this will work for me and you. I would like to start a online business so I can help my wife and I get out of debt.

Thanks for you sharing comment and I do hope you have wonderful day.
[/quote]

Hi Don,
I think that gigarank wil lwork just fine for you.
If you have problems, these guys will be right on top of it and help you out.
Unusual even for paid support, but here you have an advantage, if you grow your site and need to move to paid resopurces, you don't even have to move, all you have to do is upgrade. No down time with moving or anything.

I am not sure what kind of business that yo uare looking to start. There are some out there. I am working on one myself right now.
If you are working on a creating a virtual job, just do your research well. There are some good places out there, but there are a lot of scams out there too.

Good look to you and please post a link to you site here when you get it up so I can visit.

With Respect,

Jim