Website Designs: Ways for Mobile and desktop compatibility

mjtappy

In developing websites what tools to make your websites compatible in different devices? Depending on what screen resolution the website should be responsive and the layout should fit perfectly in any sizes and not using horizontal scroll to see the other side of your page, it's overlapping you know.... Can you guyz provided me some idea that will make my template responsive with less coding ofcouse?

Peter

Don't set a fixed width of the page. Let the width of the page be relative to the size of the window (this is the default). If you want you can set a max width (CSS: max-width) to avoid the page from stretching too wide.

Don't specify font sizes in pixels. Use relative units like % or em.

GigaGreg

Staff member
I can provide you a basic responsive template in html + css, but there is no responsive menu, I'm still working on it. You can look through the code and play around, it doesn't have less in it, but basics of responsive template.

You can download it from: igdesigner.co.uk/responsive.rar

mjtappy

I've search for Google for template and i got Bootstrap.. Is it ok to use it for the responsive design.. i mean their is no issues regarding on what device to view your site?

SpasianNrD

Another place where some good templates from is html5up.com. They provide a few sleek designs that can help develop a simple and sleek design.

Another thing I suggest is getting to know JS, using
Code:
/Android|webOS|iPhone|iPad|iPod|BlackBerry|IEMobile|Opera Mini/i.test(navigator.userAgent))

This tests for different mobile browsers, and OS 's. For example in my site, I have:
Code:
if(!(/Android|webOS|iPhone|iPad|iPod|BlackBerry|IEMobile|Opera Mini/i.test(navigator.userAgent))){
		$("#hideM").css("display", "block");
	}
So when I have the mobile view, i can hide certain elements easier with jQuery. Also jQuery is also another helpful resource when doing really complicated thing whilst keeping the coding short and simple.

If your still having problems you can look to the stackoverflow.com community, its probably the most helpful when running into coding problems.

GigaGreg

Staff member
mjtappy said:
I've search for Google for template and i got Bootstrap.. Is it ok to use it for the responsive design.. i mean their is no issues regarding on what device to view your site?

Yes, with bootstrap you can make responsive websites just by using css classes, everything is included and done for you, so what you need to do is only to build website using classes and maybe override bootstrap css if need.

SpasianNrD said:
So when I have the mobile view, i can hide certain elements easier with jQuery. Also jQuery is also another helpful resource when doing really complicated thing whilst keeping the coding short and simple.

If your still having problems you can look to the stackoverflow.com community, its probably the most helpful when running into coding problems.

jQuery is a library for JavaScript, it is quite hard to know and write on your own, but it is good like you have said it is very good and helpful.

eichenlaub

mjtappy said:

Bootstrap is a great framework to start coding from, and if you're looking for even more of a head start, check out the responsive web templates based on boostrap at themeforest.com!

ogah

use meta viewport
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, minimum-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0">

and media query in css
eg.
Code:
<style type='text/css'>
/* some class or id for wide screen here*/
#wrapper { width:900px; }

@media only screen and (max-width: 800px) {
/* some class or id for screen resolution below 800px here */
#wrapper { width:600px; }
}
@media only screen and (max-width: 400px) {
/* some class or id for screen resolution below 400px here */
#wrapper { width:320px; }
} 
</style>

or you can use % unit or use width:auto;

smalpierre

what I do is design for small mobile devices first, then set breakpoints going up from there. So before a media query gets triggered, it looks good on mobile. Then I set media queries going up from there. Don't set anything in pixel or percent widths, use ems (or rem) as the units, and you're several steps ahead of the game. Only borders should be set in pixels for the most part.