Windows 8

Mike-Hinata

Hello everyone,

So I am on Windows 7, thinking about doing a new computer build, and possibly upgrading to Windows 8. I was wondering what your opinions are on Windows 8 and are you forced to use their metro UI?

Mike

cobaltsean99

I, personally, do not like Windows 8. The new UI is built for a touchscreen computer, and is not like the other Windows editions, Unless you like the look, features, and new UI of Windows 8, and have the recommended touchscreen monitor, I would not recommend upgrading to Windows 8. But that's my opinion.

Regards,
Cobalt Sean
McKittrick Family Clan - Webmaster
Cobalt Social Networking - Lead Dev.

Mike-Hinata

cobaltsean99 said:
I, personally, do not like Windows 8. The new UI is built for a touchscreen computer, and is not like the other Windows editions, Unless you like the look, features, and new UI of Windows 8, and have the recommended touchscreen monitor, I would not recommend upgrading to Windows 8. But that's my opinion.

Regards,
Cobalt Sean
McKittrick Family Clan - Webmaster
Cobalt Social Networking - Lead Dev.

Hey,

Thanks for the great insight! Is their away to disable the Metro UI and use the classic start screen?
Touchscreens are nice, but more a novelty then anything in my opinion. I heard Windows 8.1 is coming, but haven't had a chance to do some research on it.

Mike

un4saken

Administrator
I heard that you could use the classic startup menu and the desktop. But why use w8 then? I still prefer winxp/ubuntu dual-boot

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
un4. Do you know whether there would be an informal sector support for Windows XP when it's mothballed by Microsoft in April 2014? I really would like to keep my XP rolling after then.

Mike-Hinata

Genesis said:
un4. Do you know whether there would be an informal sector support for Windows XP when it's mothballed by Microsoft in April 2014? I really would like to keep my XP rolling after then.

I didn't realize people still use Windows XP?
Though my favorite Windows of all time, would be Windows 2000 Professional, then Windows 7. Windows 2000 was small but powerful.
Curious though, why do you favor Windows XP?

~Mike

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Windows XP for me is simple. I like Windows 7, which I'm using at work, but somehow XP is simpler to use with less bells and whistles, as I don't really need those with Windows 7. Also, changing to Windows 7 at home is a bit daunting, as quite a few of my old software won't work in Windows 7, nor my printer, which HP has decided not to create a driver for. I'm sure I'll be able to finesse a driver for the printer, but am postponing it as long as possible. Most of all, I'm probably just lazy. Windows XP works great at home. There isn't a compelling reason to change at this stage ... yet.

Mike-Hinata

Genesis said:
Windows XP for me is simple. I like Windows 7, which I'm using at work, but somehow XP is simpler to use with less bells and whistles, as I don't really need those with Windows 7. Also, changing to Windows 7 at home is a bit daunting, as quite a few of my old software won't work in Windows 7, nor my printer, which HP has decided not to create a driver for. I'm sure I'll be able to finesse a driver for the printer, but am postponing it as long as possible. Most of all, I'm probably just lazy. Windows XP works great at home. There isn't a compelling reason to change at this stage ... yet.

Ah! That makes sense. Do you use classic theme or the Windows XP theme? For some reason, I like the theme of Windows 7, but not Windows XP. Older printer, is that why they don't have a driver??? I know I had some problems with older stuff too; some older games as an example. Though I do run a virtual machine for some things.
Maybe you could Dual-Boot? Though that can be a pain too. lol

Mike

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I have Windows XP Professional .... probably the classic theme. My printer is HP Laserjet 1000. Just Google all of the discussions on it and you'll get a feeling for how angry some of the users have been when HP decided to do away with it. Perfectly good hardware in excellent working condition, during a day and age when we're supposed to be looking after the environment. Quite a number of upset users dumped HP as a matter of principle. But if one goes deep enough into the issue, there are ways to get past it on a hit and miss basis. I've copied and pasted the "how to's" somewhere ready to be studied when I need to take the plunge.

Some of the el cheapo software I got over the years and that I like, may not work - or at least the Microsoft Windows 7 testing software said they won't. I'm thinking of my Ulead GIF Animator software that is a few years old, as well as Logo Design PRO of Summitsoft. I've replaced the latter with new software during one of Summitsoft's recent sales, and it's waiting and ready for my change to Windows 7. I probably would have to get a more up to date copy of Ulead Gif Animator. Greatest bummer would be my very old Adobe 5 PDF software. I hate the latest Adobe PDF software as it's just too bulky and full of stuff I don't need and the price is over the top. I may see whether the IT guys at work could help me out with a more up to date copy of the software. If and when I change over. I'll have to do away with my very old scanner - but haven't used it in a long time any way.

Mike-Hinata

Genesis said:
I have Windows XP Professional .... probably the classic theme. My printer is HP Laserjet 1000. Just Google all of the discussions on it and you'll get a feeling for how angry some of the users have been when HP decided to do away with it. Perfectly good hardware in excellent working condition, during a day and age when we're supposed to be looking after the environment. Quite a number of upset users dumped HP as a matter of principle. But if one goes deep enough into the issue, there are ways to get past it on a hit and miss basis. I've copied and pasted the "how to's" somewhere ready to be studied when I need to take the plunge.

I hated home, but did like the power that Windows XP Professional provided. Oh wow, I can understand the headache, been there and done that with a older HP printer. I ended up buying an all-in-one by Lexmark during Black Friday. I googled around to see, and seen numerous threads in HP Support and other sides, I feel for you. I did see a bit of solutions too on getting it to work, I hope it does work out if you plan on upgrading! :)

Genesis said:
Some of the el cheapo software I got over the years and that I like, may not work - or at least the Microsoft Windows 7 testing software said they won't. I'm thinking of my Ulead GIF Animator software that is a few years old, as well as Logo Design PRO of Summitsoft. I've replaced the latter with new software during one of Summitsoft's recent sales, and it's waiting and ready for my change to Windows 7. I probably would have to get a more up to date copy of Ulead Gif Animator. Greatest bummer would be my very old Adobe 5 PDF software. I hate the latest Adobe PDF software as it's just too bulky and full of stuff I don't need and the price is over the top. I may see whether the IT guys at work could help me out with a more up to date copy of the software. If and when I change over. I'll have to do away with my very old scanner - but haven't used it in a long time any way.

You are right, that is one of the downfalls of upgrading; software doesn't tend to work right or at all. Every once in awhile I will get 'Program Failed to Install', though sometimes it can be fixed with compatibility settings; not all the time. Man, I thought I was the only one who felt that way about Adobe, what the heck did they do? Way too bulky!! Mostly old dos programs for me that isn't supported at the moment. Is it Windows 8, that has Windows XP Visualization built it or something like that?

Mike

AlexBen

Hello,
Windows 8 it has worked very well for six months. The new menu I do not like, so, I installed the button start and is equal to windows 7. I think it brings good benefits at the interface and consumes less resources than Windows 7.
Only I had to update the firmware of N5110 laptop because I had problems with the video card

Mike-Hinata

AlexBen said:
Hello,
Windows 8 it has worked very well for six months. The new menu I do not like, so, I installed the button start and is equal to windows 7. I think it brings good benefits at the interface and consumes less resources than Windows 7.
Only I had to update the firmware of N5110 laptop because I had problems with the video card

Interesting. So there is a fix to enable just the start menu? I haven't done enough research yet, just start considering it. I would be installing this on my main desktop. Maybe I should install it on a virtual machine to test it?

Mike

AlexBen

Mike-Hinata said:
AlexBen said:
Hello,

Interesting. So there is a fix to enable just the start menu? I haven't done enough research yet, just start considering it. I would be installing this on my main desktop. Maybe I should install it on a virtual machine to test it?

Mike

Yes, you can test it on vitual machine.
Only should search http://www.startisback.com/#features-tab

Enjoy

Mike-Hinata

AlexBen said:
Mike-Hinata said:
AlexBen said:
Hello,

Mike

Yes, you can test it on vitual machine.
Only should search http://www.startisback.com/#features-tab

Enjoy

Thanks for the link! I will have to download it later from DreamSpark and test it out with the fix.

Mike

Pauline

At first I was not too keen on Windows 8, but after a while I got so used to it, I prefer it to Windows 7.

Mike-Hinata

Pauline said:
At first I was not too keen on Windows 8, but after a while I got so used to it, I prefer it to Windows 7.

I think as soon as I get back in town, I will download Windows 8 from DreamSpark and give it a whirl. My friend runs it but I never got to tinker with it. I tinkered with it in stores but I don't think that gives it enough justice.

~ Mike

Craig

I love windows 8 as it is much faster and I think the design of it is nice.
I never use the start screen and download StartMenuReviver which brings back the common start menu and also redirects you straight to the desktop.

ChickenFanatic

have not had this laptop for to long,which came with windows eight,it had been advertised as coming with windows seven,:confused:

does anyone know how to actualy get a usb pen with linux booting,as even though the BIOS boot sequence has USB>hard drive>so on it still boots the windows.
the USB pen and all the distros on it works fine on other laptops, plus have disabled secure boot in the BIOS, any ideas guys? cheers,am fed up with this and missing out on all the favourite games of mine like assault cube and sauerbraten,linux is unbeatable for open source/free gaming,using a virtual machine and linux wont even work on windows eight.:dodgy:

yaser

fixing this problems get very time.
we can see after this how win 7 replaced with win 8
sooooooooooooooooooooooon

Sohil876

Mike-Hinata said:
Hello everyone,

So I am on Windows 7, thinking about doing a new computer build, and possibly upgrading to Windows 8. I was wondering what your opinions are on Windows 8 and are you forced to use their metro UI?

Mike

I've tried Windows 8 and if you are like me you will definetly not be liking windows 8, its completely a tablet UI and on a desktop it just looks wrong and weird. But it all depend on you so why dont you just try it out somewhere and see for yourself, or just see some reviews on youtube.