Your Opinion on the Ubuntu phones?

Barnum4000

The ubuntu related phones have been around for a while now but are still limited in the Europe. I have never tried the ubuntu related phones but I am interested in them and in the future I may get one depending on how good they are.

Tytoowns

I have never had one either but from what I have seen I think that the design of them looks really nice, especially the Aquarius E5 HD Ubuntu Edition.

GigaGreg

Staff member
In theory this phone is good as it connects automatically to the Ubuntu OS on your computer/laptop, which means that it has the same compatibility as Apple products.

It definitely is a good budget phone that is not android and it is fully customizable in my opinion as the core is open source with attribution to contribute.

GigaGreg said:
In theory this phone is good as it connects automatically to the Ubuntu OS on your computer/laptop, which means that it has the same compatibility as Apple products.

It definitely is a good budget phone that is not android and it is fully customizable in my opinion as the core is open source with attribution to contribute.

You can take any android phone and install Ubuntu on it. I was watching them build the custom O/S for the Android phones. In theory, Android is just a custom version of a linux O/S running on an ARM chip.

So, you can take almost any cell phone and install Ubuntu onto it.

GigaGreg

Staff member
I know that, I thought about it today, that you can just install it on any phone you want as its just free :)

rapcanin

I this they are so late... I have red about Ubuntu-s phones for a long period of time, since first announcements, and about implementing ubuntu in to the all android phones, but still nothing, I did not even heard about funkcional attempt of it, and I remember my self trying to import ubuntu on my old Xperia x1
But looking forward to meet the phone with Ubuntu, it would be very nice!!!!

Geoservices

Anybody remember the Ubuntu Edge?
I SOO wanted this to be a thing, would also 'inspire' other OEM's to follow the nice specs/looks/features it's got. But that goal was just way to high, sigh oh well =\

Barnum4000

Geoservices said:
Anybody remember the Ubuntu Edge?
I SOO wanted this to be a thing, would also 'inspire' other OEM's to follow the nice specs/looks/features it's got. But that goal was just way to high, sigh oh well =\

It would have been amazing if they had manage to get the goal and start creating the phones. I would have bought one for sure. At least they are still continuing with creating phones with other companies so its not all dead.