Browsers

F

fr3ddy

Hi everybody,

First time on Gigarank. It looks very promising! I was wondering what you guys use for your day to day internet browsers. What about them do you like?

I use Torch, actually. The G.U.I. is very similar to Chrome, with some cool features like a built-in torrent, a built-in proxy, and other things. It is compatible with all Google Chrome Apps/Themes/Extensions, which is one of my favorite parts.

I know I sounded like spam just now, but believe me, haha, I can assure you I am 100% real. :smile:

I've never really tried others besides the really popular ones (Chrome, Firefox, etc.), so any suggestions or advice would be cool :smile:

Thanks for reading!

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Gigarank fr3ddy. Great quality post thanks. You've probably noticed this topic was discussed before, but since the content of your opening post is interesting and unique, let's discuss it in detail again.

I'd love to know which browser is the best one to use and am searching for an alternative to Google and Firefox. I'm a Google phobe and am beginning to get seriously irritated with Firefox. I've been using predominantly Firefox and IE. IE is not even worth a discussion. Also tried out Safari for Windows. Don't think Apple is interested in supporting it that much for Windows. Also tried Opera, don't like it either. Wants itself to be made the default browser immediately and is very controlling. So OK, will see what Torch brings. Will check it out over the weekend.

rave

u should try opear browser. i think it is fast than chrome and firefox till i used from 7 years.

opera will load pages in slow internet too but other will still show blank page i.e loading......

Brijesh123

I really like to visit this forum because i already get some useful information through this forum thank you!!!!

bjuliant

I use chrome. I once used firefox, but chrome seemed to be a bit quicker to me. maybe I'm just partial to google.

Zmm

I'm using Cyberfox with many addons (eg. uBlock Origin, Disconnect), this is Firefox fork for better security support.

kvsjxd

I generally use Opera Browser on all operating systems and machines because it's faster than all the browsers (even chrome), it's turbo mode saves internet traffic and it's lighter than chrome in memory footprint:lol:

B

Buran

I think that Firefox better for it and have better security then any other browser.

GigaGreg

Staff member
l33cher said:
One, nice to meet you. Two, recommend using Firefox as its less buggy than Chrome.

If you are posting towards quality posts, you should explain more your opinion to people, because I disagree that FF is less buggy than Chrome.

fouadChk

fr3ddy said:
Hi everybody,

First time on Gigarank. It looks very promising! I was wondering what you guys use for your day to day internet browsers. What about them do you like?

I use Torch, actually. The G.U.I. is very similar to Chrome, with some cool features like a built-in torrent, a built-in proxy, and other things. It is compatible with all Google Chrome Apps/Themes/Extensions, which is one of my favorite parts.

I know I sounded like spam just now, but believe me, haha, I can assure you I am 100% real. :smile:

I've never really tried others besides the really popular ones (Chrome, Firefox, etc.), so any suggestions or advice would be cool :smile:

Thanks for reading!

If you tried the 4 major browsers then you've tried them ALL. Building a modern browser from scratch is not a trivial task... AT ALL. What we have as implementations are the ones from:
1- > Mozilla ----> Firefox (Cross-Platform)
2-> Google$ ---> Chromium/Chrome (Cross-Platform)
3-> M$$$$ ----> MSIE + MS-Edge (not Cross-Platform)
4-> Apple$$ --> Safari (not Cross-Platform)

... and that's it. Take your pick.

Indeed there are tones of other derived browsers that are based on Chromium or are a fork of some Firefox version. The fact of the matter is that, whatever they want to call it and however hard they will try to tweak it... it's still Chromium or Firefox.

Note: Opera used to be the 5th player in this game, but since they have switched to Google's Blink they become just another browser 'tweaker' (instead of being makers.) I know it's a bit harsh but that's how I see it. It's really hard to keep up in this race and I hope that Mozilla will keep its independence and persist in perfecting their home-grown rendering engine and JavaScript VM.

RedWolf

Personaly i use Chromium its lightweight nd still has support for all Chrome addons i keep it simple i guess :)

gigame

I have used Chromium based browsers for most of my (Internet) life. Since I favor privacy I have used Comodo Dragon and a few others privacy oriented, but now I'm back to SRWare Iron, as it still accepts almost all Chrome extensions and is easily to tweak towards privacy. I also wish there were other options available (made from scratch, not Chromium / Firefox / IE / Safari based), but from what I tested so far trying to do the same things in a simple independent browser is a very frustrating experience.
I firmly believe that, although most people use the same two or three main rendering engines, each person has it's own personal browser, in the sense that a lot of time is spent configuring and setting up to personal preference (themes, extensions, behavior, sync and passwords), and using someone else's computer makes you constantly realize that it just doesn't feel quite right.

dmull

Has no one every tried Maxthon? It has an ad blocker built in as well as other cool features. You can customize the toolbar at the bottom with CPU load, RAM usage, bandwidth meter plus other cool options. Seems to load pages quicker than most browsers.

I also feel that if you have any browser with a ton of plugins, it will load pages slower than a browser without or minimum plugins.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I've got Maxthon but haven't used it in a while. I should check it out again. Fox is getting very heavy going at times. Particularly when I have too many tabs going at the same time.

DavidSpain

I just use Google Chrome, but I have also installed Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera. I think that Google Chrome is one of the best browsers that exist, and that it is its interface, ease of use and handling and for the speed with which it works. I wouldn't trade it for another.

A greeting, David.

dmull

I love Chrome, but after reading multiple articles about Chrome and your battery, I am not so sure anymore.
They claim that Chrome will cut your battery life in half, while Firefox (only other browser they tested) seemed to keep it well within its life span.

Only thing I can think of is the amount of ram that Chrome uses is what is cutting the battery life down. Either way, I know I can still use Chrome and be fine with my battery being cut in half because I can go almost 10 hours on a single charge while still using Chrome.

I have an HP dv7 17.1" laptop with an extended battery.